Thread: How do you backpack AS 8x10" F-Metric?

How do you backpack AS 8x10" F-Metric?

Hi all,
    I have just got an AS 8x10" F-Metric (front 141x141).
    I am looking for any suggestions on how to backpack the gears.
    I have a 100L backpack.
    How do you protect the camera before you put it in the backpack?
    How do you manage the lenses?
    Thanks.

Inviato dal mio RMX3241 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Mario

Re: How do you backpack AS 8x10" F-Metric?

You might want to look at some older YT videos of Ben Horne. He doesn't use an AS 8x10 any longer, but he did for several years.

I cushion my camera with the dark cloth.
    One lens fits on board the camera with the lens board reversed.
    Film holders in a zip-lock for protection from dust.
    The tripod is slung over the shoulder using a shotgun strap, which is different than a commonly found rifle strap.
    A shotgun strap attaches by simply looping over the head and legs of the tripod---there's nothing to screw into the tripod. The filter kit, light meter, loupe, lens cleaning kit and notebook all go in exterior pockets.
    In wet weather I'll also take along a cheap shower curtain liner for an ersatz ground cloth which I'll bungee or strap to the outside of the pack.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

I sure wouldn't want to walk far with both a big backpack and the need to carry a big tripod rifle-style. It's easier to bungee cord it onto the back of the pack, or if collapsible enough, just tuck it under the top flap crosswise. Of course, I'm a known advocate of true external frame backpacks. For cushioning, use ordinary bubble wrap. I also use my goosedown jacket for both cushioning and thermal insulation. Sections of fomeboard or Gator board can be used as dividers. Lenses go in side pouches.

The outfits which market game racks can customize them. That's another option, though a bit pricey. I've seen those used for Sinar 8x10 monorails.

I have an Arca-Swiss Classic with 171 lens boards that I use in 4x5 and 8x10 configurations. Arca-Swiss cameras are highly modular, which is why switching configurations can be done in a few minutes.

I suggest that you break down the camera into its component parts, take a good look, and then decide how you want to carry the various components. It's entirely possible to simply carry that camera in one hand at your side. Just put it on a short rail and hold it upside down by the rail. That's also convenient for packing it. For decades, Arca-Swiss has recommended that for its 4x5. It sells a 15cm length of rail for that purpose, although you might want a bit longer for 8x10. If I recall correctly, the "carry rail" can become part of a longer rail when you want to make photographs, or you can "roll" the camera onto a longer rail.

I suggest that you also consider that the metal components of Arca-Swiss cameras are not delicate.

Rod Klukas, Arca-Swiss's U.S. distributor, may be along, if he sees your thread title, with more specific advice. I think it would be helpful to know what you mean by backpacking, and whether you have a few minutes to assemble the camera when you arrive at a backpacking destination.

By the way, as of last month, courtesy Rod, there's actually an Arca-Swiss website: https://arca-swiss-usa.com/pages/home
    Last edited by r.e.; 23-Dec-2023 at 20:03.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic