Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I would like some advice on what type of camera I should buy for a long photo trip?

Re: I would like some advice on what type of camera I should buy for a long photo tri

And just for fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	244923

New Orleans, LA

Re: I would like some advice on what type of camera I should buy for a long photo tri

I agree with Mark. The Kodak Master 8x10 is a rugged metal 8x10 camera that is quick to set up and offers fast focusing via the sliding bed. Great for photographing people (which is why I traded the Deardorff with its slower rack & pinion focusing). To deal with the hard-to-find original lens boards I had an adapter made that takes Technika boards. Bonus is that the lenses take up a bit less space in the bag being on the smaller boards. I use Fuji's in 180mm, 250mm, 300mm, & 420mm plus a 360mm Commercial Congo on it and it is a pleasure to set up and use. Good luck on the trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    If you've already done this once with a 4x5 Graflex, you're aware of the weight and bulk of an 8x10. Its just more (a lot more) of what you're already used to.
    I've used a Kodak Master 8x10 both on the job and for personal work, and wish I hadn't sold mine. It's a fine rugged camera, whose Achilles' heel is its proprietary (and hard to find) lens boards. My first 4x5, in 1982, was a Tachihara. It served me well for ten years, and I'd be happy with one of their 8x10s.
    A slight wide-angle view might be appropriate for your work, photographers as diverse as Joel Meyerowitz and Jock Sturges have preferred it. My first choice for lenses would be a 10"/6.3 Kodak Wide Field Ektar, a fine lens that gives beautiful tonality and sharpness. Naturally you'd want to have the shutter serviced before going overseas with one, as they are all at least 55 years old now. I haven't used one but many people have used and spoken highly of the 250mm Fujinon-W. Paul Strand used a 12" Goerz Dagor on his 8x10 Deardorff, another classic lens (if slightly less wide).
    You're going to get many different opinions on this subject, we all do things a bit differently; I'm just first in line.
    Best of luck with your search and your intriguing project!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I highly suggest https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/

Cheaper than almost any new or used 8X10

I have their latest 8X10, very sturdy and lightweight

Do not buy any Fresnel from anybody

That ship has sailed

I have a few...
    I suggest a 35mm canister of Grit for a broken GG, glasse is everywhere

I like the idea of bringing grit incase the ground glass breaks but what do you mean "that ship has sailed" when you are talking about a fresnel glass back?

Thanks Gypsydog. You are making a real interesting argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    I agree with Mark. The Kodak Master 8x10 is a rugged metal 8x10 camera that is quick to set up and offers fast focusing via the sliding bed. Great for photographing people (which is why I traded the Deardorff with its slower rack & pinion focusing). To deal with the hard-to-find original lens boards I had an adapter made that takes Technika boards. Bonus is that the lenses take up a bit less space in the bag being on the smaller boards. I use Fuji's in 180mm, 250mm, 300mm, & 420mm plus a 360mm Commercial Congo on it and it is a pleasure to set up and use. Good luck on the trip!

Hi Thom,
    Thanks for the advice. What about the weight of the Master View as compared to the Deardorff. I assume the Master View is much lighter. This could be good because heavier means more stable and less problems with camera movement but it also means it is difficult to carry around. Do you need to shoot with a faster shutter speed with the Masterview. Any issues with wind.

New Orleans, LA

Andy,

I think the weight of the two cameras is about the same ~12lbs. I'm not a backpacker so don't worry too much about weight but I do like stability.

Speaking of stability, the KMV has a 1/4" tripod hole on the sliding assembly so you can use a monopod or some other form of support to keep things really tight. I tend to use shorter lenses and don't generally have to deal with a lot of wind so I haven't used this feature but I'm glad to know it's there. I'm sure it would really help if you have the front end racked out all the way.

Two other features I forgot to mention: front shift and a micro rise/fall adjustment for those oh-so-tiny tweaks.

It's a very well-designed camera and I haven't missed the "beauty" of the wooden Deardorff. I got over that once I was introduced to the KMV.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...asterview.html

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    Andy,

I think the weight of the two cameras is about the same ~12lbs. I'm not a backpacker so don't worry too much about weight but I do like stability.

Speaking of stability, the KMV has a 1/4" tripod hole on the sliding assembly so you can use a monopod or some other form of support to keep things really tight. I tend to use shorter lenses and don't generally have to deal with a lot of wind so I haven't used this feature but I'm glad to know it's there. I'm sure it would really help if you have the front end racked out all the way.

Two other features I forgot to mention: front shift and a micro rise/fall adjustment for those oh-so-tiny tweaks.

It's a very well-designed camera and I haven't missed the "beauty" of the wooden Deardorff. I got over that once I was introduced to the KMV.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...asterview.html

You used a monopod with an 8x10? I never heard of that before. Isn't that a recipe for a disaster.

New Orleans, LA

Haha! No, the camera is fully supported by a proper tripod. What I was referring to is the front focusing assembly. That has a 1/4” tripod hole that you could mount a monopod that would give the front of the camera, under the lens, some support if you have a lot of extension.

Ok Thom. Now that makes sense.

Since everyone seems to mentioning shorter lenses, I might put the Walker Titan Xl on your list:
    http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html
    especially if you think you could leverage the 5x7 reducing back, which also puts 120 into play with the Canham RFB.