Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bellows extension factor - getting the hang of it - any suggestions : )!!! ??

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: bellows extension factor - getting the hang of it - any suggestions : )!!! ??

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    But here's the real question... if I use a 200 mm lens focused at a bellows extension of 140mm, do I gain 1 stop? ;-) (ignore that whatever I photograph won't be in focus)
    Yes. You've concentrated the same amount of light in a smaller area, regardless of focus.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Re: bellows extension factor - getting the hang of it - any suggestions : )!!! ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Yes. You've concentrated the same amount of light in a smaller area, regardless of focus.
    So Tele lenses, which require less extension than the focal length to focus at infinity, get a light advantage (“are faster”) than the theoretical equivalent non tele design (meaning for a constant diameter of the entrance pupil)?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    So Tele lenses, which require less extension than the focal length to focus at infinity, get a light advantage (“are faster”) than the theoretical equivalent non tele design (meaning for a constant diameter of the entrance pupil)?
    Remember that calculating the f/stop means measuring from the rear nodal point of the lens to the focal point. On telephoto lenses, the rear nodal point is in front of the lens, while on conventional designs it's within the lens, so it's a wash. No advantage or disadvantage.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Remember that calculating the f/stop means measuring from the rear nodal point of the lens to the focal point. On telephoto lenses, the rear nodal point is in front of the lens, while on conventional designs it's within the lens, so it's a wash. No advantage or disadvantage.
    Makes sense — there’s no free lunch I guess. Thanks!

Happy Valley Oregon (yes, it's a real place)

Hope this is ok to ask here but…

Does anyone remember this thing?
    The Quick Stick - For Large Format Bellows Camera Exposure Calculations