Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting 4x5 camera for Long Tele application Longest bellow possible ?

Selecting 4x5 camera for Long Tele application Longest bellow possible ?

Hi Expert,

Most likely this will fall under ridicules request but is there any 4x5 system out there that will allow me bellows to 800 to 900 mm ?
    Following are the details.

Lenses: Nikkor-T ED 360/500 mm (may be 800 mm)
    Intended Formats: 4x5 films, Digital back.

I'm currently on Cambo Actus system and i found that Longest bellows is 450 mm and not available unless i special order and i can buy another used cambo at the price of that bellows. So before i start selecting my 4x5 film, I'd like to check if it is even possible to have that long bellows on 4x5 ?

Thanks,
    Rahul

Re: Selecting 4x5 camera for Long Tele application Longest bellow possible ?

There are plenty of 4x5 cameras that allow you to add on extra bellows (and rails to support them), but you can easily use many tele lenses with much shorter bellows because REAL telephoto lenses have flange focal lengths much shorter than their optical focal length. For example, I use a 600mm Fujinon T lens on my 4x5 which has 360mm of extension without any problem. To go to the 800mm-1000mm range, you'll need a camera that has a much longer bellows or one that can expand.

Another option is simply to get as long as you can with whatever camera and bellows you have -- and then CROP.

Small town, South Carolina, US

The Sinar (and others) allows you to use intermediate standard(s) to connect two or more bellows for as long as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    There are plenty of 4x5 cameras that allow you to add on extra bellows (and rails to support them), but you can easily use many tele lenses with much shorter bellows because REAL telephoto lenses have flange focal lengths much shorter than their optical focal length. For example, I use a 600mm Fujinon T lens on my 4x5 which has 360mm of extension without any problem. To go to the 800mm-1000mm range, you'll need a camera that has a much longer bellows or one that can expand.

Another option is simply to get as long as you can with whatever camera and bellows you have -- and then CROP.
    Thank you. I'm trying to avoid crop. So with Nikkor-T ED 500 mm, i've FFD 350 mm. Hoping that by 400mm, i'll be able to focus inside my studio (so more as i'm not focusing on infinity). But if i'll go to 800mm then i'll be at 1:1 reproduction ratio. At least that is my hope.

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    The Sinar (and others) allows you to use intermediate standard(s) to connect two or more bellows for as long as you want.
    Thank you. Is there any specific name for that intermediate standard? May be once i find the name of that accessory that i'll search for and then i'll know. I'm trying to narrow down my search by selecting extreme criterias. I believe the Sinar components are hard to find (for someone new like me who doesn't even know names of some of accessories.).
    IMore i'm searching i'm inclining towards Linhof Technikardan which i don't think will work with this system but Appreciate if you can help me with name or some more brands than Sinar ?

A Sinar will be better for your needs than the Technikardan. It's a modular system that you can configure to meet your varying needs- the TK is more a standalone field camera (although a versatile one).
    Sinars were very popular with commercial photographers in the USA, and there is a lot of used gear around for sale (unlike some other competitive brands). And there are a number of people here who are very familiar with the several different Sinar models and the many accessories. We're happy to help, too.
    Since you're in Chicago, have a look at glennview.com. That guy has lots of stuff and a great deal of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    A Sinar will be better for your needs than the Technikardan. It's a modular system that you can configure to meet your varying needs- the TK is more a standalone field camera (although a versatile one).
    Sinars were very popular with commercial photographers in the USA, and there is a lot of used gear around for sale (unlike some other competitive brands). And there are a number of people here who are very familiar with the several different Sinar models and the many accessories. We're happy to help, too.
    Since you're in Chicago, have a look at glennview.com. That guy has lots of stuff and a great deal of knowledge.
    Thank you very very much. For sure i'll write email and get in touch with this person. I think i'm learning more about photography in last few days i'm on this site than i learned in last few years outside of this website. Thank you ... !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-H View Post
    Thank you. Is there any specific name for that intermediate standard? May be once i find the name of that accessory that i'll search for and then i'll know. I'm trying to narrow down my search by selecting extreme criterias. I believe the Sinar components are hard to find (for someone new like me who doesn't even know names of some of accessories.).
    IMore i'm searching i'm inclining towards Linhof Technikardan which i don't think will work with this system but Appreciate if you can help me with name or some more brands than Sinar ?
    For an 800mm extension, you definitely need a monorail camera.
    Sinar, Toyo, Cambo all made intermediate standards, as I think others also may have. They're called "Intermediate Standards" - surprise!
    I have these standards (and cameras and other accessories) for these three brands.
    Wista did make a tele-macro rail for very long extensions with their metal field cameras. I think I have some of the components, but I have to confirm.

Send me an email if you'd like to discuss further.

Kumar

Yup, Sinar really is the way to go. If cost-constrained, look for a Sinar F2, which will come with a 12” rail standard. Extensions come in 6”, 12”, and 18” lengths, and screw together end to end as needed. For 800mm, you may want two tripod adapters and at least a support leg under the second one. Two standard bellows connected by an intermediate standard should do the trick.

If you need precision geared movements, look for a Sinar P instead of the F.

And the older Norma is even more beautifully made and nearly all the components are interchangeable, so a Norma intermediate standard will work fine on an F or a P. But Norma cameras in good shape are getting pricier than P models, which can be had cheaply. Example: I bought a Sinar P Expert Kit in its case for $300 three or four years ago. The Expert Kit already has the rail extensions.

Nothing else is as reconfigurable and versatile for the money (or really any amount of money), and the low prices on the used market are because of relatively abundant supply not and problem with quality. But these were used by pros so condition has to be carefully checked.

Rick “Science, Industry, Nature, Architecture, Reproduction” Denney

If the OP wants to use a digital back on the 4x5 camera, the Sinar F2 wouldn't be my first choice. A Sinar X or P2 would be better. The X doesn't have the annoying zero detent on the shift and rise movements and allows smooth shifting. At extreme extensions, one wants as much rigidity as possible, particularly with digital.

Kumar