Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How have you shopped for lenses over the years?

Wink How have you shopped for lenses over the years?

I've gone from just looking for cheap and interesting, to obsessing over Fuji's more modern designs. I've yet to pick up any lemons, and I have some older lenses I really like, but I really really like my Fujinon W 180/5.6 and would like to get some comparable lenses.

How has your kit evolved? Any missing pieces, any grails? Do you know exactly what you're looking for, or do you have general requirements? Any anecdotes you'd like to share? Any tips you've picked up?

Re: How have you shopped for lenses over the years?

The world has changed so much that the ways and places how and where I've shopped for LF lenses from 20-40 years ago no longer exist. My kit was more than complete by 2010. I've bought very little since then.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Sounds like you understood your requirements and desirements, then shopped smartly the first time. Those are the keys to success. Plus staying out of the bargain basement unless willing to lose a bet. That’s worked for me, also.

I've picked up the best deals on LF equipment in person, not online. I got lucky at a couple estate sales and there is a local Camera Swap Show that happens annually where sometimes some interesting things show up. You are much better off being like Dan and getting your kit together and sticking with it though. There are a lot of deals in this hobby though and sometimes it's hard to resist...

I knew nothing about LF. So I used this site's reference articles to get a head start. Lots of great info from many of the people still posting here who have been extremely helpful ever since in explaining things in the forum's threads.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.info/

In the '80s and '90s I often visited New York City, and I purchased most of my lenses from the used counter at Ken Hansen's and Lens&Repro. Those days are sadly long gone, and my 4x5 kit has been essentially complete since about 2000. And since I lived in Rochester, there were opportunities to buy lenses in person.
    Nowadays, I follow the 'for sale" listings here... the "buyer/seller advisory" page will help you decide on a seller, if not a lens. I've never used eBay, as it happens.
    I'm still looking for a 500/11 Nikkor-T, but I never have spare cash when they (rarely) come up for sale. So it goes!

85% from this forum, 15% from ebay...

As I was interested in putting together a very lightweight kit, I found Kerry Thalman's website very helpful (not sure if it's still up). He had a lot of information about size, weight and coverage of many lenses.

As for where I purchased them: Some new from Calumet (remember them) some used from eBay, some from camera stores, second hand stores, etc.; wherever I could find what I wanted at a price I could afford.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I've picked up the best deals on LF equipment in person, not online. I got lucky at a couple estate sales and there is a local Camera Swap Show that happens annually where sometimes some interesting things show up. You are much better off being like Dan and getting your kit together and sticking with it though. There are a lot of deals in this hobby though and sometimes it's hard to resist...
    domaz, in the early days of eBay (.com, .co.uk, .fr, .de, ...) when few people knew what was what there were wonderful bargains to be had. The same was true of stores' sites before the smaller ones migrated to eBay and other newer sales venues. And also, at least a little, for camera shows. I once bought a 100/6.3 Luminar, like many of the 100s not engraved "Luminar," at a camera show for $25 and a 45/4.5 Mikrotar for $10 at another show.

The last wonderful bargains I found were both on eBay and I'm very surprised that I got them. One was a lens panel for a Koni-Omegaflex that held 58/5.6 Hexanon taking and viewing lenses. These fit a #0 and are the shortest readily available lenses that make infinity on a 2x3 Speed Graphic. Not large format, though. The other was a "65/5.6 Xenar." I'm astonished that no one else looked at the listing title and smelled a Super Angulon. Not engraved "Multicoating" but still ... Isn't other folks' ignorance wonderful?

Price. I will tens to grab em' if the price is just too good... I already have too many great lenses to shoot with so I am not really looking for anything specific... of course those Heliars look nice...