Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x7 TMY - Great Holiday Deal at B+H!

Re: 5x7 TMY - Great Holiday Deal at B+H!

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    The real problem is with modern backing papers on 120 format films: they do not age well and I've found that most films are subject to "backing paper marks" as they exceed their best-before date.

With unopened rolls of 120 film stored in the refrigerator, I've experienced "backing paper marks" with Kodak films one year after their expiration dates. Ilford films 10 years after their expiration dates and no problems except once with Delta 3200.

Drew Wiley

No 120 backing paper problems for me ever, past-date frozen or not. I do of course rotate my inventory, and use up older film first. But high speed films are inherently subject to faster emulsion aging due to cosmic rays, and so don't store well long-term even frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    With unopened rolls of 120 film stored in the refrigerator, I've experienced "backing paper marks" with Kodak films one year after their expiration dates. Ilford films 10 years after their expiration dates and no problems except once with Delta 3200.
    The newest Kodak 120 backing paper is almost plastic looking, and all indications are that it is much more resistant to wrapper offset than the problematic batches.

Quote Originally Posted by tax888 View Post
    The newest Kodak 120 backing paper is almost plastic looking, and all indications are that it is much more resistant to wrapper offset than the problematic batches.
    This is likely because they're using a different varnish to finish the paper, and it appears glossier - more "plastic". It probably seals in the numbering inks better, avoiding the backing paper offset issue.

Drew Wiley

There is a parallel thread over on Photrio right now, surmising the proprietary trade secret nature of Kodak's current backing paper. And yes, it does feel more slippery or "plasticky". What Ilford happens to be using is a slightly different question.

Sheet film, fortunately, is immune from such issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    Didn’t see this until this morning. Bought two boxes. Whew!
    Originally, B&H listed this sale as "expiring December 31, 2023." A day or so later, the price hadn't changed, but that note was gone. As of today, B&H still has 12 boxes at the discounted price, likely expiring 5/24 as John Layton reported above.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    The real problem is with modern backing papers on 120 format films: they do not age well and I've found that most films are subject to "backing paper marks" as they exceed their best-before date. Sheet films I do not worry about, but with 120 films, I do not keep more on hand than I expect to use before they start developing backing paper flaws. Refrigeration helps, of course, but it doesn't eliminate the problem entirely.
    I've had backing paper issues with cold stored Fuji NPH.
    I recently shot a roll of tmax100 (120 roll film) I had frozen in my freezer since 2001.
    Processed normally. It was perfectly fine!