Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much weight can the Toyo field front standards support?

How much weight can the Toyo field front standards support?

I apologise if this has been asked before but I did search and could not find an answer.

So I have the Toyo 810G and am just wondering how heavy a lens the front standard can support? I am interested in trying some fast petzvals and/or fast lenses for the 810 format?

Thanks so much in advance!

Re: How much weight can the Toyo field front standards support?

Um, if the lens' focal length isn't too long you should be able to make a crutch that rests on the bed in front of the standard and supports the lens.

Drew Wiley

Stability is also related to the focal length, and how far out the bellows is extended. Think torque vectors.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Am not looking to add anything for support, just wondering how much weight the front standard can hold by itself? Would be looking in the normal to slight telephoto range for 810 (300mm - 450mm).

Thanks!

The Toyo G series (monorails) are sturdy professional-grade cameras. I'm sure that they were designed to hold the common modern lenses for 8x10, even though I've never used one of those cameras.
    Huge brass portrait lenses, enormous long process-type lenses, well, you'd have to test those.

Which camera are you asking about? Your title asks about a Toyo field which would be an M series, then you mention owning a G series which is not a field camera.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsydog View Post
    Which camera are you asking about? Your title asks about a Toyo field which would be an M series, then you mention owning a G series which is not a field camera.
    Hmmm, not sure how I included that...

Am talking about the 810 G series..

Thanks!

The front standard of a Toyo View 810G is the same as the 45G (and 57G for that matter) it's the same part shared between models. The rear standard and bellows (and for completeness, the rail tripod mount) are the only parts that are different between formats.

The front standard has axis tilt, and looking that the design the centre of the shutter should be about right on the axis so stability will be only be limited by the rigidity of the vertical uprights... IOW a lot. The worst case would be using a big lens on a top-hat lens board, particularly a telephoto like the Nikkor T ED 600/800/1200mm.
    Last edited by Vaughan; 17-Dec-2023 at 05:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    The front standard of a Toyo View 810G is the same as the 45G (and 57G for that matter) it's the same part shared between models. The rear standard and bellows (and for completeness, the rail tripod mount) that are different between formats.

The front standard has axis tilt, and looking that the design the centre of the shutter should be about right on the axis so stability will be only be limited by the rigidity of the vertical uprights... IOW a lot. The worst case would be using a big lens on a top-hat lens board, particularly a telephoto like the Nikkor T ED 600/800/1200mm.
    Awesome! Thanks for the answer, much appreciated!

What about some of the fast, older petzval type lenses out there... Those suckers look huge!?

If too big for your standard monorail cameras, what are the more sturdy options out there?

Thanks!

If using a monorail camera, you could get creative with an intermediate standard, some cardboard and a bit of duct tape to use as a support for the front of a long or heavy lens.