Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Re-Entry Strategy

Re: Re-Entry Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a Schneider Xenar, but I feel that price is a bit high. The Xenar is a Tessar design, and Schneider did a very good job crafting theirs. I have a few Xenars and like them a lot.
    If I were you, I'd consider one of the Kodak Ektar lenses. The 8.5" Commercial Ektar is exceptional, as is the 203mm Ektar (f7.7), which is regarded as one of the best lenses of the 200mm plus/minus category ever made. These can be had for about $200.
    That was the most reasonably priced 150 on the ‘Bay when I searched. Next closest one was a Nikkor at $349. Buying used is not my strong suit. I noticed a number of posting where the pictures all look alike.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    That was the most reasonably priced 150 on the ‘Bay when I searched. Next closest one was a Nikkor at $349. Buying used is not my strong suit. I noticed a number of posting where the pictures all look alike.
    Peter De Smidt mentioned filters and this is something for you to consider, as well as image circle, relative to your imaging goals. That lens seems to use a bit of an odd filter size - 34mm. While I really like Xenars, you might want to read this before buying to see if anything here helps you make a decision. I'm a bit surprised at the prices of 150's these days...

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/mid-rang.htm

150mm f5.6 Schneider Xenar: Xenar is the trade name Schneider uses for their four element, three group lenses of the classic tessar type design. The Xenars have been produced for over 70 years. During that time, a wide variety of focal lengths (75mm - 480mm) and maximum apertures (f3.5 - f6.1 depending on focal length) have been offered. What a lot of people don't know is that Xenars are still available new in the 150mm and 210mm focal lengths. In order to keep the cost down, even current production Xenars are only single coated. They are supplied in modern Copal shutters. Being tessar types, the coverage is smaller than the plasmats, but it also allows them to be quite small, light and affordable. Specifically, the current 150mm f5.6 Xenar has a published image circle of 173mm, a weight of 170g, and takes 34mm screw in filters with a new price of $359.00 (as of November 15, 1999 from Badger Graphic Sales). Very compact and lightweight. My friend Chris Perez owns one, and it has excellent sharpness at f22 (see Table 3.). Coverage is tight on 4x5, but if you're willing to sacrifice a little coverage, the current production Xenar is very small and light and inexpensive for a reasonably fast (f5.6), current production lens. In addition to the limited coverage, the other drawback with the 150mm Xenar is the odd filter size. I have been unable to locate an off-the-shelf source for a 34mm - 52mm step-up ring. However, B&H does list a 34mm - 46mm step-up ring in their catalog, so you can make it in two steps. Also, B+W makes a 34mm - 58mm step-up ring, if you have standardized around 58mm filters. If all else fails, for $50.00 (as of November 15, 1999), Steve Grimes can custom fabricate a 34mm - 52mm (or other size) adapter.
    The mention of Kodak Commercial Ektars is an interesting one. That line is another one of my absolute favorites. The challenge with them could be the older shutter and bi-post synch. But great lenses of epic reputation and it's nice of Paul to bring them up in a discussion like this.

Ok I get it if OP simply prefers folding cameras or is a hiker/backpacker, but there have been some other uh let’s just say silly comments about monorails in this thread.

I'm going to roll with the Intrepid. Turnkey system other than lens, light and available. Even some of the bits & bobs such as film are a little cheaper through their site.

Thank you Brian for the dinner-time reading. Image circle coverage, in my mind, is more important than the filter threads because I've never been a big filter user and there are adapter rings. Goal is a nice clean, functional 150mm or 210...would prefer to start with the 150. I wonder if the prices reflect people like me re-entering the arena or the uptick in interest in film photography in general...more people shopping means sellers can demand more.

I mentioned in my OP that I went down this path many years ago. "Way back then" there was Lens and Repro in NYC...a magnificent shop where you could go and physically inspect and even try equipment before buying it. I miss that experience. I hate not knowing what will show up in the mail, whether you bought a great thing or someone else's nightmare. The Wisner I referred to very quickly started to have issues, it became my nightmare and I sold it for a fraction of what it cost new.

A nice and compact Fuji 125W is a good alternative to the 150. I have one and really like it. A slightly wide and a slightly long lens set is a good combo.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

M.A. Wikstrom

I'm going to roll with the Intrepid. Turnkey system other than lens, light and available. Even some of the bits & bobs such as film are a little cheaper through their site.

Thank you Brian for the dinner-time reading. Image circle coverage, in my mind, is more important than the filter threads because I've never been a big filter user and there are adapter rings. Goal is a nice clean, functional 150mm or 210...would prefer to start with the 150. I wonder if the prices reflect people like me re-entering the arena or the uptick in interest in film photography in general...more people shopping means sellers can demand more.

I mentioned in my OP that I went down this path many years ago. "Way back then" there was Lens and Repro in NYC...a magnificent shop where you could go and physically inspect and even try equipment before buying it. I miss that experience. I hate not knowing what will show up in the mail, whether you bought a great thing or someone else's nightmare. The Wisner I referred to very quickly started to have issues, it became my nightmare and I sold it for a fraction of what it cost new.
    I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I like my Fujinar W 150. Cost is less than just buying a shutter, light and compact and sharp enough for those few days that I am seeking sharpness. Not a huge image circle however but a solid option if you can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Peter De Smidt mentioned filters and this is something for you to consider, as well as image circle, relative to your imaging goals. That lens seems to use a bit of an odd filter size - 34mm. While I really like Xenars, you might want to read this before buying to see if anything here helps you make a decision. I'm a bit surprised at the prices of 150's these days...

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/mid-rang.htm
    Thank you again doe this link. I instantly recognized the webpage design, I consulted this information during my first foray into LF…forgot about it long ago. My goodness, some of the glass referred to there is now selling for over a thousand dollars, if you can even find it. I feel like I should go back under my rock! I bought my lenses new back in the early 2000s, and I don’t think I paid more than a few hundred bucks and now they are selling at Leica prices.

I found a 150 f5.6 Fuji W last night at a reasonable price. Trying to get pictures of it.

M.A. Wikstrom

Thank you again doe this link. I instantly recognized the webpage design, I consulted this information during my first foray into LF…forgot about it long ago. My goodness, some of the glass referred to there is now selling for over a thousand dollars, if you can even find it. I feel like I should go back under my rock! I bought my lenses new back in the early 2000s, and I don’t think I paid more than a few hundred bucks and now they are selling at Leica prices.

I found a 150 f5.6 Fuji W last night at a reasonable price. Trying to get pictures of it.
    Supply & demand - very little supply of new lenses now. I'm lucky in that a good friend is a skilled professional watchmaker. With lenses, as long as the glass is clean I'll buy a lens, and he's always been able to service and fix the shutters.

There are some good deals out there; in my case usually through local connections. Recently a gallery manager where I've sold connected me with a widow who was trying to quickly unload her late husband's gear, and she didn't care about the price. I got 6 90s vintage lenses and a 4x5 camera for very little - two lenses had been exposed to water and my watchmaker friend was able to clean and repair them.

Ok. I’m all set. Between the Intrepid and one of the members here I have everything I need to get re-started. Thank you to everyone who offered advice > even the monorail folks It’s nice to know there are still a few corners of the Internet where you can get good advice.