Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Re-Entry Strategy

M.A. Wikstrom

Re: Re-Entry Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    You're feeding into my thought process! One of the concerns I've read about and seen (Youtube) is that you need to keep the lenses on the lighter side; otherwise the front standard can get squirrelly. Is that true? I've never put much thought into the weight of lenses.
    I haven't noticed any problem mounting a heavy lens, but the heaviest lens that I have is a Fujinon SW 125mm f8 that's not used very often (my Intrepid is 5x7). For 4x5 I typically carry a 135mm f5.6 Sironar N (very small lens) and a Fujinon A 240mm f8 (only slightly larger). My 4x5 is a Tachihara which is only slightly heavier than an Intrepid.

Several people have mentioned Sinar as an option. I would consider it. A used Sinar F2 in good condition is often less than $400. They are almost infinite in how you can configure them. So as your needs change so can your camera. And if you decide to go with another system you can likely sell it for what you paid for it. There are also plenty of lens boards available, even free plans to 3D print them if that's your thing.

It will be a little heavier and not as portable as a good wooden folding camera but if you get creative it's easier than you think. Used film holders are a viable option and save you a ton of money compared to buying NOS. I would keep your initial purchase of the camera as reasonable as possible and then save your money for good lenses that match your vision.

-Joshua

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Good grief… as a monorail camera user since 1982, I can easily say that the most miserable photo expeditions have been with that camera. Mine, a Cambo, is a sweet and affordable camera but it really doesn’t travel very gracefully past the trunk and parking lot.

Depends. For the price of an Intrepid you can sometimes buy a nice Sinar Norma. During Covid sales drooped and I filled my studio with Normas. If you want to start with the finest, consider checking them out. Sinar has oodles more parts available for sale than other brands, because so many were used professionally. The notion that Normas are not field cameras is laughable. LOL. Good Luck and HAVE FUN. Plenty of good stuff out there.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Rail cameras can be a nightmare to take out anywhere. They seem to appeal to people who like to torture themselves as part of the creative process. No thank you!

Not really interested in a monorail

What are your thoughts on this 150mm ?

Prices jump up pretty quickly into the mid $300 unless willing to purchase from Japan and then you're giving some of that money back in shipping.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I like Xenar lenses. Some say they are a bit soft around the edges, which might be so wide open, but stopped down a bit I’ve found them crisp and delightful.

I have a set of 77 mm filters for my medium format kit that I use with my large format kit. Pick large format lenses that don't exceed the size of your filters. You could use Step Up adapters to reach the filter size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    Not really interested in a monorail

What are your thoughts on this 150mm ?

Prices jump up pretty quickly into the mid $300 unless willing to purchase from Japan and then you're giving some of that money back in shipping.
    There's nothing wrong with a Schneider Xenar, but I feel that price is a bit high. The Xenar is a Tessar design, and Schneider did a very good job crafting theirs. I have a few Xenars and like them a lot.
    If I were you, I'd consider one of the Kodak Ektar lenses. The 8.5" Commercial Ektar is exceptional, as is the 203mm Ektar (f7.7), which is regarded as one of the best lenses of the 200mm plus/minus category ever made. These can be had for about $200.

One thing to consider with old lenses is whether you're going to use filters or not. If so, modern filter threads in a common size are convenient. If you don't plan on using filters, then don't worry about it! An Intrepid is fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know