Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Re-Entry Strategy

Re: Re-Entry Strategy

Good luck Bob, Post some photos when you get them.

The Intrepid arrived and my initial impression: the lest precise photographic instrument I've ever used. A bit disappointed but I have to remember the price. The lack of detents on the front standard is a pain, particularly when it doesn't look square to the eye but the bubble level says it is. There are almost no instructions on the company's website about where to attach front standard to the bed; had to watch a few videos to figure out where to screw in for my 150. And, worst of all....although I'm using a recommended lens board, the lever to secure the top edge of the board will not slide down over the edge of the board.....something's off with the tolerance of either the board or the standard. I can make it work, I think. Ground glass had dust on the inside/bellows side......wouldn't have expected that from something that just came from the manufacturer.

My last contact with a 4x5 was a Wisner that had detents galore, so this is bit more fiddly. The movement of the knobs, also, isn't as smooth. I guess I expected something a little more refined in version 4.............Remember the price! Weather should be okay tomorrow for a trip outside to see how it handles in the field.

You should consider a camera that can do either 4x5 or 5x7. You said you wanted a bigger film size and don't seem to be using large movements. 5x7 capability might not cost much more. Probably, ease of operation should be a high priority: easily moved, set up quickly, no crazy limitation of movements. I've never used an Intrepid but they look pretty straight forward to use.

Welcome back and have fun