Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Plans for Combiplan Developing Tanks

Re: My Plans for Combiplan Developing Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Well, Drat. Both of my Combitube units have curved sides, on both sides, so there it is. Perhaps the one coming my way will be more like the ones you folks are describing.

My plans for Combiplan Dev Tanks 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's the box for what's coming to me next. It says it develops plates, so we will see.
    No, one side is curved it’s other side is straight. And, when you assemble the rack do it so the lock rings are on opposite sides, that will make the rack stronger and, if there are any blue washers, throw them away, they haven’t been needed for over 30 years.

Ah, Thank You Bob! It was difficult to see the difference to my eyes, but now all is good. Scrap J. Lane 6.5x9cm glass plates load smoothly and perfectly. I'm delighted. Happy Holidays to All.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 12-Dec-2023 at 08:56.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Combiplan Six 6.5x9cm J Lane Glass Plates loaded by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is six dummy Jason Lane 6.5x9cm Glass Plates, loaded into a Combiplan Rack now properly adjusted. I have a lot of Plaubel Makina Glass Plate Holders, purchased in various bundle deals. And quite a few Makina Holders are loaded ready to go. About ASA 1 with most developers I have tried. Fun ahead. Need some more liter graduates for stop and fix. For small runs this will be great, planning to use PMK+

― Mark Twain

I have 3 Combiplan holders and one tank. Over the years I've found metal tanks a little bigger than the Combiplan so I use those for fix/water bath while developing in the single tank with 1100ml of solution usually.

For b&w images I sometimes load the film back-to-back in the tank for a total of 12 sheets at a time, which is nice for when I have a lot of film to develop. These films take a bit more time to fix once you separate them after development as the rear of the film doesn't have the anti-halation coating washed off in the developer.

For color I use the tanks in the dark for dip-n-dunk processing, C-41 and E-6.

Combiplans are great!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

These tanks are neat. I don't need anything else darkroom or I would chase one of these down.

That's very cool to know Bryan. JOBO rotary will do 18 6.5x9cm sheets, but twelve dipn'dunk is even more awesome IMO. Thanks for sharing! I have Yankees too but this is very different.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No, one side is curved it’s other side is straight. And, when you assemble the rack do it so the lock rings are on opposite sides, that will make the rack stronger and, if there are any blue washers, throw them away, they haven’t been needed for over 30 years.
    Hi Bob. I've also recently set up a three-tank Combinplan-T line per Eugene Singer's article and, despite replacing washers on the valves with ones you recommended some time ago, occasionally have one or more process chemicals slowly leak into the water jacket. I suspect it's the caps on those valves that are causing this issue. I'd like to replace the valves with threaded plastic plugs, and have found a source for those, but there's a minimum order quantity. Do you by any chance know if my guess at the thread size is correct? By eye and ruler it seems like 5/8-18. It would be good to avoid buying a bag of the things when I only need three if they won't fit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Hi Bob. I've also recently set up a three-tank Combinplan-T line per Eugene Singer's article and, despite replacing washers on the valves with ones you recommended some time ago, occasionally have one or more process chemicals slowly leak into the water jacket. I suspect it's the caps on those valves that are causing this issue. I'd like to replace the valves with threaded plastic plugs, and have found a source for those, but there's a minimum order quantity. Do you by any chance know if my guess at the thread size is correct? By eye and ruler it seems like 5/8-18. It would be good to avoid buying a bag of the things when I only need three if they won't fit.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sorry no. We ordered them by part number not size.

One of my tanks has a cap that looks like it have been smeared with aquarium cement (or similar). It doesn't leak! Prolly wouldn't hurt anything? WOW this design is great!

― Mark Twain

[[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2po4zyG]

I ordered three liter sized pitchers from Photographer's Formulary. The complete Combitube NIB old stock arrived from Germany in good order. So now I am ready to go trying developers that are more suitable for DipN'Dunk processing. Works with European sized planfilm and plates that fit my European cameras. Long WInter, crank up the heater, and give it a good go. Looking forward to it as I have time.

― Mark Twain