Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby, it's cold outside...

Re: Baby, it's cold outside...

I don't use wax, don't understand me wrongly I don't dislike bees, but to my humble opinion, BALLISTOL gun oil is a better en polyvalent product, not only for metal but for leather, rubber, plastics (ABS in particular) and wood too.
    It protects, lubes (without getting greasy nor sticky) and it cleans, it withstands extreme temperatures and humidity, and, till a certain extend, seawater.

This mineral based oil was formulated more than 100 years ago for the Prussian Imperial Army, where Leather, wood, natural fabrics, natural rubber, ropes, weapons (and explosives), iron and steel, humans and horses where so common and had to be taken care of.

I use it on (and in) my Leica, Pentax, Hasselblad, Linhof, Silvestri, enlargers, car, bike and a whole lot in the household. Even on (superficial-) skin wounds and insect bites...

Quote Originally Posted by phdgent View Post
    I don't use wax, don't understand me wrongly I don't dislike bees, but to my humble opinion, BALLISTOL gun oil is a better en polyvalent product, not only for metal but for leather, rubber, plastics (ABS in particular) and wood too.
    It protects, lubes (without getting greasy nor sticky) and it cleans, it withstands extreme temperatures and humidity, and, till a certain extend, seawater.

This mineral based oil was formulated more than 100 years ago for the Prussian Imperial Army, where Leather, wood, natural fabrics, natural rubber, ropes, weapons (and explosives), iron and steel, humans and horses where so common and had to be taken care of.

I use it on (and in) my Leica, Pentax, Hasselblad, Linhof, Silvestri, enlargers, car, bike and a whole lot in the household. Even on (superficial-) skin wounds and insect bites...
    Wow! Gun oil and some duct tape and you're good to go for everything

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Wow! Gun oil and some duct tape and you're good to go for everything
    NO,NO, not duct tape!!!!!!!!!!!

Duct tape is outmost destructive for cameras and photo equipment, don't use that!!!
    Duct tape degrades in time and leaves a hardened layer of glue behind when it falls off or teared away.
    If you discard it after a short time, sticky glue is left and perhaps the surface of the object can be damaged!
    NEVER EVER use (duct-) tape on photo gear, it is a very stupid thing to do!

If you can't resist to use tape or really can't resist the urge, then the only kind of (trustworthy-) tape is GAFFER TAPE (which is NOT duct tape at all)!
    But use this one sparingly too because on the long term that one can be evasive due to the reaction on temperature changes.

But why on earth would you want to use any kind of tape on a camera anyway?
    Unless it is for a very short therm emergency repair on the field...

BTW, I have been using Ballistol for more the 20 years on my photo gear and never had any problem, but never ever used it on the inner fine mechanics (shutters and alike) as it is not at all meant for that!

In the USA, any mention of duct tape can be considered a joke.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naJ18PUo55o

Duct tape isn't good for cameras but is a life style for some.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Renaissance wax is the best stuff. Thirty years ago, Zone VI recommended it for my then-new 4x5. I've treated the camera with it occasionally, which despite the abuse I've given it, still looks good.
    And my wife, a photo conservator, approves of Renaissance wax as well. A little goes a long way!
    That's good to know, it's expensive stuff!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

very very thin coat of silicon grease...
    https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-Si.../dp/B08M8NYHLW

Quote Originally Posted by phdgent View Post
    NO,NO, not duct tape!!!!!!!!!!! ...
    It's kind of a running joke over here that duct tape is a panacea for just about any problem. Wreck your car? Put it back together with duct tape. Need a prom dress? Make one from duct tape. Need to restrain a violent criminal? Duct tape! Etc., etc. The Canadian TV series Red Green also had many novel ideas for using duct tape (YouTube maybe?). I've used it for some novel purposes myself: splinting broken tripod legs (works on humans too if you can find a couple of sticks - I carry a roll with me in the backcountry), taping soles back onto shoes and fixing holes in soles, binding wounds, fixing tears in tents and clothing, hemming tuxedo trousers, emergency whipping of rope ends, you name it.

Your praise of gun oil seemed to ring a familiar chime

The engagement ring I proposed to Suzelle with I made from duct tape. Gaffer's tape was too expensive.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

There's also TREWAX which is 50% Caranuba. It's clear and made for any hardwood -- floors, cabinets, furniture, etc. -- and is still being made (since 1935). It contains turpentine & petroleum by-products, so it is flammable. I've never used it on my field cameras, but I suspect it would be good:

https://www.beaumontproducts.com/Cat...wax-Paste-Wax/