Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luna-pro advice. Which ones do you like and why?

Re: Luna-pro advice. Which ones do you like and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironage View Post
    Anyone use the enlarging attachment and can recommend it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have the Gossen Lab and have used it quite extensively, but that was decades ago. I used it with my ProfiSix meter.

I bought both the meter and the enlarging attachment in 1985; I think I used it for enlarging until close to 1990. Once I purchased a Color Star colour analyser I didn't use it, except on the rare time I was in someone else's darkroom.

It is slightly cumbersome to use and understand, but once you know how to use it, it is quick and quite accurate. It can and does give a reliably close contrast setting of your negative to give you a starting point of which grade of paper should be close or very close. It also is very accurate in measuring exposure time differences for different sized prints from a known print size, or enlarger height size.

The best way is to remove the negative holder, turn off the darkroom lights, place the meter fitted with the Lab attachment and take a reading, null the meter. Then place the negative stage back, adjust to your desired new size, up or down. Repeat the procedure of exposing to the filtered enlarger light. One then has two possibilities, you can use the Gossen method using their charts and instructions, or do a quick read of where the needle is and note the exposure difference in 1/3 stops. I then adjust the timer to reflect the stop changes in time adjustment.

If you have a Gossen meter and you can acquire a Lab attachment cheap, go for it.

I like my SBC. It works fine. I also have a Gossen Pilot, which is smaller and lighter and doesn't rely on batteries (for sking.)
    Oddly enough, my most used is an old Weston, which QLM converted over for me decades ago. QLM closing shop was a real loss.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

If you're using the 7.5%/15% narrow metering attachment, here are the EV value adjustments:

For 15% setting-Plus 1.5 EV

For 7.5% setting-Plus 3 EV

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gossen_luna_pro_face-01.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	244679

the color symbols at the bottom of the dial are for the attachment, so no guessing is needed to adjust for compensation.

an interesting thread here
    https://openphotographyforums.com/fo...e-meter.18478/

Joel Edmondson

I use the LunaPro SBC and wouldn't switch. Granted, it is large but the versatility, ease of use and reliability are legendary and the availability of batteries (9v) are more than reason enough to keep me in the camp of "satisfied users"!
    Joel

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post

Name:	Gossen_luna_pro_face-01.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	244679

the color symbols at the bottom of the dial are for the attachment, so no guessing is needed to adjust for compensation.

an interesting thread here
    https://openphotographyforums.com/fo...e-meter.18478/
    Or…

Name:	IMG_3875.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	244681

What about the fact that these meters are old. A meter is something that needs to be trusted. Is it better to get a digital meter or a new meter. Would a new meter be more trust worthy. I do not want to through good money after bad.

Bought best Sekonic L758 2008

Really glad I did

I use rechargeable batteriy

Lousy case

I use it constantly

Even for prints when enlarging
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Andy F View Post
    What about the fact that these meters are old. A meter is something that needs to be trusted. Is it better to get a digital meter or a new meter. Would a new meter be more trust worthy. I do not want to through good money after bad.
    There’s a fallacy that seems to predominate these days that “digital” is, by definition, better than anything old. It’s not necessarily so. There are some older technologies that have held up quite well. The LunaPro meters are one of them. They have their foibles, like the “memory effect” of the CdS cells, which isn’t nearly as bad as some people think it is. There are more good features than bad. Get to know the meter and it will work just fine in modern applications. Go cheap and bottom-feed could lead to a disappointing buy… or it could lead to a very functional bargain. It’s a matter of smart shopping versus new v older. But, yes, some older meters have had a hard life so shop carefully. More importantly, do what makes you feel most comfortable. Good luck.

I had a Luna Pro in the 1970's, then in the late 1980's, a Minolta III used mostly for incident readings. Then in the late 90's I bought the new Sekonic L508 that did everything I needed. Still have it.