Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with lens and shutter selection for a DIY camera

Re: Need help with lens and shutter selection for a DIY camera

If you can find a small piece of glass, like a microscope slide, then you can grind a matt surface onto one side and press it up against the film guide rails while the back is open, and check focus on that. I did this once in the past ( I forget the camera/project ) . If you can do this for an infinity object, then a couple of closer distances then you'd have a useable scale on the helical.

Zone focusing large format is challenging because, due to the size of the negative, the magnification for the same subject distance would be greater than a smaller format negative. As one increases magnification, the ability to focus becomes ever more important.

I still think a used monorail would be the best way to start large format.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Zone focusing large format is challenging because, due to the size of the negative, the magnification for the same subject distance would be greater than a smaller format negative. As one increases magnification, the ability to focus becomes ever more important.

I still think a used monorail would be the best way to start large format.
    Good thoughts that I agree with, but the OP wants most to print a camera and secondly to shoot 24x65 on 35 mm film. IMO, the cost effective way to get flexibility and full control would be to use a polyvalent 2x3 camera such as a Century Graphic with a 2x3 roll holder, 120 film and crop. However, short lenses that cover 2x3 are pricey and will put the project outside the OP's budget.

Oh, it’s a 35mm project. I did look at the link in the op, but didn’t see any specs. Maybe there are menus that don’t show on my cell phone browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    In that case, set the camera up for f11 or f16 and fix focus to the hyperflocal distance so it's a point-and-shoot.

IMHO if you want a DIY camera project that won't be a fool's errand money pit, buy a cheap, scruffy metal Toyo Field 45A or Wista 45N or 45D, clean it up and put new bellows on it, and play around with a 90mm lens and some 4x5 black and white film for a while. This is sitting with the cool kids at the back of the bus stuff. You can crop a 4x5 sheet to 6x12cm if you want panorama, just draw some lines on the ground glass. Your choice. After you're done, you can easily sell it and probably get your money back.

IMHO your budget and expectations of the difficulty involved are both way too low.
    Well-said Vaughn!