Thread: Epson v750 vs v800? Archival scans to the Internet Archive / Archive.org

Lightbulb Epson v750 vs v800? Archival scans to the Internet Archive / Archive.org

Hey everyone,

I've been actively researching various scanner models including the v700, v750, v800, and v850. As a current v600 user and someone who's refurbishing an Expression 10000XL, I'm in need of a scanner that offers a Dmax rating of 4.0, ideally for scanning areas up to 8.5 x 11 inches. Similar queries were raised in older threads, such as this 2018 discussion, but I'm seeking updated insights.

My role volunteering at the Internet Archive involves scanning reflective materials in high-resolution for archival quality (or 'good enough' where budgets fall short) digital surrogates. Transparency scanning isn't a requirement or concern, as I don't have any and won't be scanning film or negatives, regardless.

After investing significantly in the 10000XL, I'm leaning towards acquiring a used v700 or v750 from eBay. I'm aware of the differences between the v7xx and v8xx series, primarily in their illumination sources. Also, the v850 is noted for its superior optical coatings and brighter mirror, but the v8xx series doesn't seem to offer significant improvements over each other, except for the bundled software and film holders.

I currently use SilverFast Ai Studio 9 + HDR Studio with their latest IT8 Target (ISO 12641-2 compliant 2019).

Given my limited budget and the voluntary nature of my work at the Internet Archive, I'm debating whether the v8xx models are worth the investment, or if the v750 represents a sufficient compromise. If resources weren't a concern, I'd shoot for options like Zeutschel or Phase One's cultural imaging hardware. e.g., a pipe dream, one can wish!

Since it's been 3-4 years since this was talked about in depth on here, any advice or experiences with v7xx/v8xx series are welcome!

Thank you,
    Nick aka Archivist_Goals

Re: Epson v750 vs v800? Archival scans to the Internet Archive / Archive.org

Nobody answered your question so I'd share my personal experience with Expression 10000XL, v750, v800, v850.
    I was using 10000XL from ~2008 till now, v series more recently as scanning / digitising technician in Lithuanian National Museum Of Art.
    I can't find any significant quality differences between these scanners in the field of digitising of reflective objects.
    So the argument to get newer scanner is right keeping in mind software compatibility and potential device working resource, not reflective scanning quality issues.
    v750 is outstanding device.

I would say v series are better built than Expression 10000XL, which has few mechanical malfunctions and technical support was quite pricey.
    Hope this helps.
    Oh, you can use native Epson software for scanning with the same success as Silverfast, especially in your application.

I found that my V600 and V850 using Epsonscan do a nice job with reflective photos. Colors can be improved and ICE works well in removing dust, scratches and other imperfection. I never used Silverfast nor 10000XL. Good luck with your new job.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidotas View Post
    Nobody answered your question so I'd share my personal experience with Expression 10000XL, v750, v800, v850.
    I was using 10000XL from ~2008 till now, v series more recently as scanning / digitising technician in Lithuanian National Museum Of Art.
    I can't find any significant quality differences between these scanners in the field of digitising of reflective objects.
    So the argument to get newer scanner is right keeping in mind software compatibility and potential device working resource, not reflective scanning quality issues.
    v750 is outstanding device.

I would say v series are better built than Expression 10000XL, which has few mechanical malfunctions and technical support was quite pricey.
    Hope this helps.
    Oh, you can use native Epson software for scanning with the same success as Silverfast, especially in your application.
    Thank you for your kind and in depth response, sharing your experiences with these various higher end scanners.

I ended up purchasing a v850. And I finally managed to purchase a replacement upper assembly with a completely new glass for the 10000 XL unit.

After doing several open-lid test scans in a dark room using both Silverfast and Vuescan software I have some interesting and mixed results.

I'm making a new post about this to start a new thread.

Btw, a d-max of 4.0 is a purely theoretical number. In practice it'll be much less. It's easy to test with a step wedge. The good news? You won't get anywhere near running into the d-max limit with reflective print scans. You'll want to text different resolutions. In my experience going above 600spi with air-dried fiber-based prints doesn't increase file quality, as the texture of the paper is the limiting factor. For perfectly glossy prints, this might be different, but you're also likely to run into Newton's rings with those and a smooth glass platen.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I use a V850 and Vuescan software along with wet mount for film. If I need even better scans I use my drum scanner.