Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3D Printed Lens Boards Anyone?

Re: 3D Printed Lens Boards Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I think just the software cost more than ten lensboards. Assuming one send the file away for printing.
    Maybe I'm mistaken. Which software is needed to make these?

There are plenty of free options. For more simple stuff I use TinkerCAD - which is a free web based 3d modeling software. It can export directly as an STL so you can print it. I designed my ground glass cover and shorter monorail for storage with TinkerCAD. Fusion360 which is way more feature rich is also free for "Makers."

TinkerCAD is a great way to get started in 3D modeling as it is very easy to use, limited in function, and has a large amount of online tutorials. I went from TinkerCAD to Fusion360.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I think just the software cost more than ten lensboards. Assuming one send the file away for printing.
    Maybe I'm mistaken. Which software is needed to make these?
    Fusion 360 has a non-commercial liscence which is free.
    https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

Software at this level is probably without cost. Design can be done with FreeCAD or LibreCAD (open source) for traditional Computer Aided Design methods. OpenSCAD is a programmatic tool, and is also open source. These tools generate the mesh describing the surface of the object, usually in STL or 3MF files.

The printers can usually use Ultimaker's Cura, or Prusa's Slic3r slicer software to convert the solid model into the gcode used to print each layer. The gcode is usually read by the firmware in the printer to generate the movement of the extruder, and how much filament to extrude and at what temperature. Printers usually come with slicer software based on Ultimaker or Prusa's open source offerings.

If you stick to designs someone else has made (Thingiverse.com is a good place to look), you may not need or have to learn the design software.

TurboCAD and AutoCAD's Fusion 360 will cost.

Personally I find it a little easier to start with an empty volume and add material to get the object I want, rather than start with a block of stock and cut away everything that does not look like the object.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post

TurboCAD and AutoCAD's Fusion 360 will cost.
    Well it depends. You can get Fusion 360 free as an uncommercial private license with very few limitations. And those are more on on how large and complex projects you can build. And then we are talking large scale professional projects with many subcomponents and contributors.
    For the likes of us, there are no practical limitations.
    I find Fusion 360 an incredible value, being the industry standard there are loads of both official and unofficial learning sources.
    Give it a concentrated half day of tutorials and a few lessons and you're up to do simple models like lens boards and the like. And then you can build from there.
    That's what I did.
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

makiflex

I started with an Ender 3, now I work with a JGAurora A5. I am planning to buy Anycubic Cobra Max.
    I work with Blender. I have also tried various CAD programs, but Blender is the most intuitive for me. It's also free and there are some tutorials on the internet.
    The procedure is simple. The basic principle: I create a cube and define the dimensions for the plate. Then I create a cylinder with the diameter of the opening, place it where I want it and remove it from the plate.
    In principle, more complex machining operations such as a thread or frame, bridges and recesses work in the same way: You create them with the correct dimensions and then add or subtract.
    Cost: If you know you want to get more involved with 3D printing, it will become cheaper over time. If you only want to print something from time to time, it makes more sense to have the 3D prints made externally.
    After two years of training, I can now tackle more complex constructions relatively quickly. For example, I built myself a 6x12 camera. Front plates and lens covers are no longer a challenge, they can be built quickly.
    One thing is certain: I really enjoy 3D printing now, it's almost addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by xandr View Post
    I started with an Ender 3, now I work with a JGAurora A5. I am planning to buy Anycubic Cobra Max.
    I have had a Kobra Max for a couple years now - and it has been a great machine.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Contax RX - Toyo 45G - Lumix G9 - Pentax 645 - Fuji GS645W - Minolta A9