Thread: Film scanning review

Film scanning review

Having spent a lot of time on this forum years ago and having looked at the many options to get film scanned Tim Parkin's scanning service was always at the top of the
    reviews here for scanning services. https://www.drumscanning.co.uk/author/tim-parkin/
    I loved the efforts and creativity involved with DSLR scanning on this forum but my life is just too short. Weeks fly by like days now and clocks have seemed to have sped up by a
    magnitude.
    Like most people initially I wanted to save some money on my scans and had a person that was new to scanning digitize my film. One scan has a whole segment that is shifted
    making the scan unusable and the person charging my for this didn't even notice the butchery. In retrospect how much time and money did I spend to capture these images? The travel costs, film prices,
    processing and shipping should not all be lost to poor scanning.
    The whole process of getting the scanning done in the UK was just plain simple. When I received the scans they looked really nice and when I fired up DXO Photolab and the first thing
    I did was to click on the Clear View Filter. WOW! It was such a shock that I went back through my film and pulled out another 29 images to get scanned.

I am so thankful to have listened to the people on this forum about scanning services. Don't waste your money and time on poor scans having invested so much.

I'll try and post some images.

All the best to everyone!

Re: Film scanning review

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DJ012cr.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	244352

You can see the shifted area from the poor scan mentioned above on the top line of the dune. I thought these images would be bigger and I can't replace them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Useless scan.jpg  

Better Scans

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	244353

Name:	1719_DJ_003JP_DxO.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	244354

Name:	Small 8.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	244355

If you think scanning is expensive take the total cost of the scanning your film and divide it by the cost to fill a fuel tank. It's $140 a tank where I live and I don't blink about that price when
    I'm going to shoot pictures.

Have fun everyone!

ALot of companies dont care. ALot of companies have equipment but not the skill. I remember reading about a guy who did "pofessional lab processing of black and white film" through the mail.

It turned out to be a guy with a paterson tank and a packet of Xtol working in his garage from boredom. No one seemed to notice until he stopped bothering to remove the pet hairs from negatives before shipping them back to customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
    ALot of companies have equipment but not the skill.
    I've read here many times that it's an art form that takes a long time to master. The trouble with getting bad scans back it that it gives a false and poor impression of
    the digitized quality of the original images. Great scans matter and make a world of difference.

All the best for the holiday season!

Quote Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
    ALot of companies have equipment but not the skill.
    I've read here many times that it's an art form that takes a long time to master. The trouble with getting bad scans back it that it gives a false and poor impression of
    the digitized quality of the original images. Great scans matter and make a world of difference.

All the best for the holiday season!

I grew tired of scanning

Haven't used my pristine V700 for years, but at hand

I copy my prints with a very old Leitz enlarger with the OE camera attachment

I square it up with the camera looking at grid using an iPad 6

actually fun and easy
    Tin Can