Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Tripod for 8x10

Carbon Fiber Tripod for 8x10

Hi all,

Wading into the tripod conversation: I’ve got a Sinar Norma, and currently use an old aluminum Gitzo, which is plenty sturdy but both heavy and miserable to use in the cold. I’m looking at the Gitzo offerings, and my first question is whether or not a series 3 can support the Norma, or if I should bite the bullet and go for the larger series 5? I know the FLM tripods are very popular on here, but I’ve never seen one in person—how does the build quality compare? I suppose the CP38-L4 would be the one I’d want.

I’m hoping to be able to hike farther with my camera—I’m not looking for a wooden tripod as I’m hoping to lighten my load, not increase it. (And to that end, will probably update my camera in the next couple of years, too.) Thanks!

Re: Carbon Fiber Tripod for 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by MCohn View Post
    Hi all,

Wading into the tripod conversation: I’ve got a Sinar Norma, and currently use an old aluminum Gitzo, which is plenty sturdy but both heavy and miserable to use in the cold. I’m looking at the Gitzo offerings, and my first question is whether or not a series 3 can support the Norma, or if I should bite the bullet and go for the larger series 5? I know the FLM tripods are very popular on here, but I’ve never seen one in person—how does the build quality compare? I suppose the CP38-L4 would be the one I’d want.

I’m hoping to be able to hike farther with my camera—I’m not looking for a wooden tripod as I’m hoping to lighten my load, not increase it. (And to that end, will probably update my camera in the next couple of years, too.) Thanks!
    I have worked with a myriad of tripods over the years including Gitzo, Ries, Linhof, Manfretto, Majestic with my 8x10, 8x20 and 11x14. I can honestly say that once I started hiking it was only then that I appreciated the lower weight, the functionality and the capacity of the line of FLM tripods. They have an internal pressure relief valve that makes set up a breeze and lock down solid quickly. As a result I ditched my Gitzo and have two FLM's. Although I do not know what the weight of a Sinar Norman camera tips the scale at, I would think that it is possible to drop down a model number in the FLM line and do the CP34-L4II (which I have and use with my 32# Deardorff V11) and have no problems with it at all and it would save you some $. Talk to Ari on this forum as he is the Canada FLM distributor.

I use a Gitzo series 3 with three leg sections for an Arca Swiss F-Line that I can configure for both 4x5 and 8x10. I think that the series 3 is O.K. for the 8x10. I don't know how this would translate for a Sinar Norma. A few months ago, I decided to get an additional tripod, and in carbon fibre was leaning toward a series 4 if not a 5. In the end, I wound up with a wooden tripod so didn't have to make a decision about carbon fibre.

Ben Horne has both a series 3 and a series 5 for his Arca Swiss 8x10 F-Line. You might find it helpful to see what he says about this. His comments sound about right to me: https://www.benhorne.com/tripods-heads Horne might also discuss the issue in one of his YouTube videos.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Talk to Ari on this forum as he is the Canada FLM distributor.
    I think that he's the distributor for both Canada and the U.S. I'm not keen on tripods with more than three leg sections, and my reservation about FLM is that they don't appear to make a 3-section tripod. If I can ask, what's your view on that in relation to FLM?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I think that he's the distributor for both Canada and the U.S. I'm not keen on tripods with more than three leg sections, and my reservation about FLM is that they don't appear to make a 3-section tripod. If I can ask, what's your view on that in relation to FLM?
    I pulled my CP34-L4II tripod out of the closet and it surely is a three section tripod (ie three leg sections with compression tighteners) so I am a bit confused about your question. What I like about the FLM tripods is 1) the sections open and close very quickly because of the designed pressure relief valve that the Gitzo does not have and 2) the tightening collars are just superior to the Gitzo. They are just quicker and easier to engage than the Gitzo in addition to being much higher.

I’m currently planning on getting the Arca Swiss, so this is very helpful! Thank you! I’d seen Horne’s post—I might reach out to him directly.

I have my 8 x 10 Linhof on a very lightweight video tripod and it's quite sturdy - I like the half-bowl leveler. I've got my M679 on a Gitzo 3 CF - it's fine - small but quite heavy camera. I think if I were to get another tripod it would be an FLM. Talk to Ari - he knows the products and he's a straight shooter.

Lachlan 717

Leofoto.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I pulled my CP34-L4II tripod out of the closet and it surely is a three section tripod (ie three leg sections with compression tighteners) so I am a bit confused about your question..
    I'm attaching a screen capture from FLM's US website called "Tripod Buying Guide". See the first horizontal column called "Leg Sections". They are all 4 or 5 sections. Anyway, my understanding is that FLM will customise to a degree. Ari is certainly helpful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flm.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	244248

Quote Originally Posted by MCohn View Post
    I’m currently planning on getting the Arca Swiss, so this is very helpful! Thank you! I’d seen Horne’s post—I might reach out to him directly.
    I expect that he'd be happy to discuss it. You could also contact John Sanderson via personal message or his website. John also uses an 8x10 Arca Swiss, but I don't know which tripod he's using at the moment. This is his website: https://www.john-sanderson.com