Thread: My Tobias Densitometer

My Tobias Densitometer

Years and years ago, I purchased a Tobias TCX-S densitometer though the FS forum. However, the last time I did calibrations, the light-source was weak. Using a Stouffer transmission step wedge and a calibration curve, I was able to squeak through.

I'm ready to do calibrations again, so I called Tobias to see if I could bring my unit up to current standards. I was connected with John Finley at Tobias, and he was familiar with details of a TCX-S right off the top of his head. Sure enough, Tobias would do the servicing for about $400, which included return shipping and a potentially expensive source light. (Assuming they could find one.)

As part of our conversation, Mr. Finley spoke about some of the internal details of the densitometer, how to get in, etc. So, I peeked inside, and it turns out the source light had slipped out of its housing. My previous "success" was due only to the fact that the sensor was able to operate off the illumination lights inside. Replacing the source light in its housing according to the owner's manual instructions, I then calibrated the densitometer using a Stouffers step wedge that came with the unit.

It now works perfectly!

I count this as outstanding customer service. The fact that Tobias was even willing to speak to me came as a surprise. Let alone, connect me with a seasoned technician who could speak to specific details about a long discontinued unit.

Contrast this with the customer service one might receive from X-Rite! My experience with the latter, if a unit has been discontinued, one is lucky to make it past the threshold.

Worth a mention, I thought.

Re: My Tobias Densitometer

I have two of the older TCX and got some parts from Tobias without any hassle. That was a few years ago. Good to see they are still in business and offer customer service.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Densitometer Switch 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	244163