Thread: New All Around

New All Around

Just joined, likely will study lots of old posts. Outside of using an iPhone and previous to that digital point and shoot cameras I am new to photography. Interested in exploring outdoor b&w large format photography. So far my limited research say something like 4x5 format and maybe a Graflex Crown Graphic camera.

Thanks, Brad.

Re: New All Around

Welcome, Brad!
    Many start off with a Graflex/Crown Graphic of some configuration. Not a bad choice at all. 4x5 is a very nice format to work with - it offers a lot!

Paul

Yes, welcome to the fold, Brad. Nothing wrong with a Crown Graphic as a start. Have fun!

a crown? not a speed? *shakes head in judgemental disgust*

Welcome to the FORUM. 4x5 is a good place to start with large format photography, but before you jump in the lake, I would advise reading a book about what is involved. You can get one from your library, such as Stroebel's View Camera Technique. But LF photography is nothing like P&S photography. You have to know about exposure. You have to process the film. It takes a lot of time and money -- but we think it's worth it. Go to the library and put your toes in the water before you decide if you want to jump in.
    And don't ask anyone, "What camera should I get?". Why? Because you will get a million answers, and simply end up nowhere, except confused. Once you understand what is involved, you will be able to decide for yourself what you need & want in a camera -- and then the camera will come to you!!!

nlb34, I add my voice to the welcome. A wonderful adventure awaits. I second the suggestion to get your hands on a book, but in my opinion, you may find Stroebel most useful a bit further down the road. You say you are new to photography, so a book that will fairly simply explain the basics of film photography --which differs in key respects from digital, even without the features unique to large format--may be a considerable value to get you initial grounding. Many of the board members began with and/or are familiar with a number of different formats, and have experience with both B&W and color, and will be able to answer the many questions that will pop up.

Outdoors photography encompasses a vast realm. You may or may not yet have ideas of what kind of subject matter interests you most within that, whether b&W or color is your preference, and so forth. These choices may affect your decisions regarding equipment and your budget. I don't mean to suggest that you need to figure out everything ahead of time, only that getting a sort of panorama of film photography will help you get off on the right foot.

Note that there is quite a bit of LF info on the home page of this forum as well.

If I can be of help, send me a private message (click on my member name for a menu displaying Private message).
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/