Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This the World’s Highest-Grossing Photograph?

Is This the World’s Highest-Grossing Photograph?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nyt.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	244097

This long read article in today's NY Times is an interesting and fun read:

Is This the World’s Highest-Grossing Photograph?
    “Girls in the Windows” wasn’t made by an art world giant, but people keep buying it. And buying it. And buying it.

URL: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/21/b...e-windows.html

The NY Times has a paywall, but allows a limited number of views each month by non-subscribers.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Re: Is This the World’s Highest-Grossing Photograph?

From one of the reader comments:

Not in the article are the camera, lens and film specs. All I could find is what he told Time: "It was shot on a 4×5 Speed Graphic – which I seldom used – with a wide angle lens. And I did about, I’m guessing here, 15 or 18 shots." I'm guessing the lens was a 90mm, because wider lens is more difficult to accommodate on that camera.

I wish I could read the article, but I have already used all my freebies for recipes.
    I no longer care to subscribe to the Times, just the New Yorker.
    Can you name the photographer? I will do a little research for more.
    TIA!

Ormond Gigli -girls in the window
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

Ormand Gigli , 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I wish I could read the article, but I have already used all my freebies for recipes.
    I no longer care to subscribe to the Times, just the New Yorker.
    Can you name the photographer? I will do a little research for more.
    TIA!
    You should be able to read it a week Friday. This is not a news story. It's what the NY Times calls a "long read", and it's unlikely that you'll find what's in the article in other sources. In part, it's about how this photograph has been marketed and the roles of auction houses and art dealers.
    Last edited by r.e.; 21-Nov-2023 at 23:24.

multiplex

https://entertainment.time.com/2013/...ew-york-photo/

(interview with him ... speed graphic fast wide angle lens )

For those who can't access the NYT, I just got an email promoting this photo at a local gallery:

Ormond Gigli's greatest image, Models in the Windows, was taken on New York’s East 58th Street in 1960. It is widely considered one of the most famous fashion shots of the 1960s, and captures a slice of long-gone New York. It has such great energy and is so memorable, you are sure to remember it long after having seen it for the first time.

Self-assigned, the Models in the Windows image is some of Gigli's best work and has a fabulous creation story to match. Here are Gigli's own words on the story..

"In 1960, while a construction crew dismantled a row of brownstones right across from my own brownstone studio on East 58th Street, I was inspired to, somehow, immortalize those buildings. I had the vision of 43 women in formal dress adorning the windows of the skeletal facade.

We had to work quickly to secure City permissions, arrange for models which included celebrities, the demolition supervisor’s wife, my own wife, and also secure the Rolls Royce to be parked on the sidewalk. Careful planning was a necessity as the photography had to be accomplished during the workers’ lunch time!

The day before the buildings were razed, the 43 women appeared in their finest attire, went into the buildings, climbed the old stairs, and took their places in the windows.

I was set up on my fire escape across the street, directing the scene, with a bullhorn in hand. Of course, I was concerned for the Models’ safety, as some were daring enough to pose out on the crumbling sills.

The photography came off as planned. What had seemed to some as too dangerous or difficult to accomplish, became my fantasy fulfilled, and my most memorable self–assigned photograph. It has been an international award winner ever since.

Drew Wiley

Not even close. The biggest money-making photo in history was probably one of the Marlboro Man, seen on billboards and magazines all over the world for decades. It's also one of the most socially significant ones - can you think of any other image that's killed more people than that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Not even close. The biggest money-making photo in history was probably one of the Marlboro Man, seen on billboards and magazines all over the world for decades. It's also one of the most socially significant ones - can you think of any other image that's killed more people than that one?
    You are referring to the profit made by the company by using an image to advertise their product rather than the sales of the photograph itself. Unless you count Richard Prince's theft of the Marlboro Man ads to make his appropriation art, the actual Marlboro Man image(s) were never sold on the art market.

If you are considering the profits generated through advertising, there are many contenders beyond the Marlboro Man. For example, specialized business-to-business ads for commercial airplanes and military contracts. Very big bucks involved there.