Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Have you had to pay hefty customs fees when buying from Japan?

Re: Have you had to pay hefty customs fees when buying from Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Darlene I don;t know if lithographs qualify for Media Mail Service which is cheaper postage.
    Alan,
    The items I sell do not qualify as Media Mail, and my clients almost always select Priority Mail because they want the items as soon as possible without paying for rush services.
    International orders are different because the postage is so expensive. But thank you for the suggestion.

--

I posted the information as an example for those curious about why American sellers might hesitate to ship camera gear internationally. Trust me, it's not just about reluctance—it's about dealing with the expense and hassle.

Picture this: You've got to make a trip to the post office, likely after work or during your lunch break. Cue the long lines, with ten or more folks ahead of you, eyeing the clock like a ticking time bomb. Meanwhile, you've got two postal workers valiantly trying to keep up with the chaos, being courteous despite being swamped. Let's remember the joy of wrestling with customs paperwork as well. It's enough to make anyone think twice! Then there is the cost. It's just not worth it sometimes, folks. It was more accessible years ago, but that has all changed. Choosing shippers outside the USPS brings in broker fees, which can add $40+ to your shipment.

There is an insurance limit USPS implements on international packages of a maximum of $2,499, and it varies by country, but check with your local PO. A few years ago, I shipped an expensive camera to Switzerland, and I could not get USPS to insure it for its value. Sales paperwork had to be presented, and they said the limit was $2,499. I could have shipped FedEx or USPS, but their broker fee was quoted as $85, and their shipping fee was 3x USPS. What a hassle!

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Alan,
    The items I sell do not qualify as Media Mail, and my clients almost always select Priority Mail because they want the items as soon as possible without paying for rush services.
    International orders are different because the postage is so expensive. But thank you for the suggestion.

--

I posted the information as an example for those curious about why American sellers might hesitate to ship camera gear internationally. Trust me, it's not just about reluctance—it's about dealing with the expense and hassle.

Picture this: You've got to make a trip to the post office, likely after work or during your lunch break. Cue the long lines, with ten or more folks ahead of you, eyeing the clock like a ticking time bomb. Meanwhile, you've got two postal workers valiantly trying to keep up with the chaos, being courteous despite being swamped. Let's remember the joy of wrestling with customs paperwork as well. It's enough to make anyone think twice! Then there is the cost. It's just not worth it sometimes, folks. It was more accessible years ago, but that has all changed. Choosing shippers outside the USPS brings in broker fees, which can add $40+ to your shipment.

There is an insurance limit USPS implements on international packages of a maximum of $2,499, and it varies by country, but check with your local PO. A few years ago, I shipped an expensive camera to Switzerland, and I could not get USPS to insure it for its value. Sales paperwork had to be presented, and they said the limit was $2,499. I could have shipped FedEx or USPS, but their broker fee was quoted as $85, and their shipping fee was 3x USPS. What a hassle!
    I agree with you about the cost of international shipping from the US and Europe, but as far as standing in line, etc is concerned, you might want to consider Click-N-Ship and Package Pickup: https://usps.my.site.com/faq/s/artic...Package-Pickup

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    I agree with you about the cost of international shipping from the US and Europe, but as far as standing in line, etc is concerned, you might want to consider Click-N-Ship and Package Pickup: https://usps.my.site.com/faq/s/artic...Package-Pickup

Kumar
    I sent some time-sensitive original legal documents from Alaska to a lawyer in next-door British Columbia. These were sent via US Express International Mail, which guarantees 3 day delivery in exchange for USD $59.40.

Five weeks later, tracking shows that they are still stuck in San Francisco, California and haven't even made it to Canada yet.

This is the second time in a row that this has happened to me using US Post Office to the same nearby "international" destination.

From now on, it's FedEX for me.

Kumar
    As per USPS:
    “International mailpieces that require a customs declaration form and bear postage stamps must be presented by the customer to an employee at a retail service counter at a Post Office location.”

To obtain proof of mailing, you must bring your packages, along with the necessary customs forms, to the post office counter to be scanned and accepted. While you can purchase postage online and receive a tracking number, this doesn’t guarantee that the package has been shipped. The receipt you receive at the counter serves as the only official proof that the USPS has accepted your package.

As per USPS:
    “International mailpieces that require a customs declaration form and bear postage stamps must be presented by the customer to an employee at a retail service counter at a Post Office location.”
    From the page I linked:

"International packages can only be picked up if the shipping label, customs forms and postage payment was completed online. Packages with hand-written customs forms must be taken to a Post Office™ retail location for mailing."

To obtain proof of mailing, you must bring your packages, along with the necessary customs forms, to the post office counter to be scanned and accepted. While you can purchase postage online and receive a tracking number, this doesn’t guarantee that the package has been shipped. The receipt you receive at the counter serves as the only official proof that the USPS has accepted your package.
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but if a post office employee picks up a package, a receipt must necessarily be issued without exception. What you refer to is only the purchase of postage. Obviously, unless a package is physically in the post office's possession it cannot be shipped. In any case, I believe handwritten customs forms are no longer accepted by many countries. From mid 2023 to Europe, and to all countries from March 1st 2024, JapanPost has insisted on online EAD - Electronic Advance Data to create shipping labels that must also include the appropriate HS codes.

From the page I linked:

"International packages can only be picked up if the shipping label, customs forms and postage payment was completed online. Packages with hand-written customs forms must be taken to a Post Office™ retail location for mailing."

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if a post office employee picks up a package, a receipt must necessarily be issued without exception. What you refer to is only the purchase of postage. Obviously, unless a package is physically in the post office's possession it cannot be shipped. In any case, I believe handwritten customs forms are no longer accepted by many countries. From mid 2023 to Europe, and to all countries from March 1st 2024, JapanPost has insisted on online EAD - Electronic Advance Data to create shipping labels that must also include the appropriate HS codes.
    Thank you for pointing that out. I advise anybody who wants to use the pick-up service for international shipments to speak with their local USPS office. The post office I ship from requires an international package to be dropped off at the counter and scanned for tracking. We have days where our mail is not being delivered, and we do not even have a Postmaster at this time.

My post office is currently under investigation, like many around the US, because of missing packages, etc. USPS Inspector General sends audit team to Tallahassee to investigate ongoing mail issues.
    I am sure there are good post offices out there that have honest employees who deliver the mail as they should, and their pick-up services are worth the cost, but that is not happening where I live, thus the current investigation.

I just read through the page and wanted to see what the fee was for the Pickup and Demand service: $26.50 per pickup!

Darlene, that is certainly an eye-opener. I am in a better position to understand why Americans are reluctant to ship overseas. All I can do is offer my condolences.
    I read a few articles that suggested that all this is part of a plan to privatize the USPS.
    I am truly glad I live in Japan, where the post and courier services (and most everything else) are exceptionally good.

Kumar

Darlene, that is certainly an eye-opener. I am in a better position to understand why Americans are reluctant to ship overseas. All I can do is offer my condolences.
    I read a few articles that suggested that all this is part of a plan to privatize the USPS.
    I am truly glad I live in Japan, where the post and courier services (and most everything else) are exceptionally good.

Kumar
    Thanks, Kumar.
    When I ship packages directly from the USPS counter (not in a USPS mailbox where they are not scanned on acceptance), they get where they need to be. The only delivery problems I have encountered repeatedly are when I ship Priority Mail to the Philadelphia or NYC areas. The packages go all over the northeast for 10-14 days before they get delivered to their destination, which is crazy, but it has been consistent. Hopefully, the investigation will clean things up.

To follow up on Darr's point, service here is highly variable across locations. My experience with my local post office has been pretty good, but at his post office in a different state my brother has had to argue with the manager to get a receipt even for domestic packages dropped off in person - the clerk couldn't be bothered and insisted he leave them at a kiosk, which does not provide proof of acceptance.

The same is true of FedEx and UPS - very good, reasonably consistent service in some places, mediocre and erratic in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    To follow up on Darr's point, service here is highly variable across locations. My experience with my local post office has been pretty good, but at his post office in a different state my brother has had to argue with the manager to get a receipt even for domestic packages dropped off in person - the clerk couldn't be bothered and insisted he leave them at a kiosk, which does not provide proof of acceptance.

The same is true of FedEx and UPS - very good, reasonably consistent service in some places, mediocre and erratic in others.
    Couldn't you pay for a proof of mailing receipt to the package and force the agent to give you a receipt? You might also consider a proof of receipt to get the signature of the person accepting the package.