Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof B1 rail extension stuck on

Linhof B1 rail extension stuck on

I'm hoping for some advice on how to disassemble the rail on a Linhof Kardan B1-System 8x10 camera. I was lucky enough to find this in an estate sale with 8x10 and 4x5 backs, the below extension, and the rail extension (and a dozen Fidelity Deluxe holders). It's well used but all there, and apart from a mis-folded bellows (which after careful manipulation has refolded correctly and is under a book) everything works except for the rail extension, which is stuck on. I am new to this particular system, and don't know for sure how the extension is supposed to be released. There is a black plastic cap on the front end, and on the back end of the rail there is an aluminum knob. Unfortunately the knob looks like it has taken a beating - perhaps from the camera tipping over more than once. The knob is askew, as if whatever rod it may be attached to has been slightly bent, now jamming the inside of the knob against the outside of the rail. My assumption is that this knob must be turned to release the rail - or does the black cap on the front function as a knob?

Assuming that the knob must be turned, the next question is how to do so. I wrapped an old bicycle inner tube around it and applied what force I could with channel lock pliers, but I have no way of securely holding the rail itself (which still has both standards on it). Can the black cap on the front be removed without unscrewing the knob? If so I could remove the standards and perhaps find a way to hold the rail in a wood vise.

I am hoping for any advice here, and thanks.

Re: Linhof B1 rail extension stuck on

We don't know where you’re located, but if you are unsuccessful and stumped on how to repair and make this rail system operable, you could always contact Auston Calhoon at LAFLEX in LaJolla CA. He has a website, and is excellent on repairs and reconditioning of anything Linhof. I purchased a superbly reconditioned Linhof Master Kardan GTL from him 3-4 years ago, and visited his shop when I (and it) was in Rancho Mirage area a couple of years ago, and noted that he has lots of parts and routinely has various Linhof cameras and other gear under reconditioning (for subsequent sale). The best way to contact him is to call and speak to him.
    Last edited by JMO; 14-Nov-2023 at 10:34.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    if you are unsuccessful and stumped on how to repair and make this rail system operable, you could always contact Auston Calhoon at LAFLEX in LaJolla CA
    Thanks, very helpful reference. The problem is that getting the camera to him - without some way to take off the front and rear standards, and on the rail plus extension - would be an expensive shipping proposition. I am tempted to break off the black plastic cap on the front rail so I can remove the standards. I am concerned that the extension is glued on - whoever owned this camera had glued it to a Majestic tripod head (yesterday's project was gently removing it), clearly liked glue, and there appears to be glue in the seam between the rail and the extension. I just don't know for sure how the thing works, so don't really know how to tackle the problem.

You need to provide some pictures of what you're trying to describe.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Call Austin, he will help you with suggestions on how to disassemble your rail, and then other pieces in case you’ll need/want to send it to him. I’ve found him very helpful if you call him.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    You need to provide some pictures of what you're trying to describe.
    The camera
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	243879

The knob

Name:	Knob2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	243880

The cap

Name:	BlackCap.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	243881

The joint

Name:	joint.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	243882

I have a 4x5 Linhof BI at home with an extension rail. I don't remember anything special about taking it apart. I'll take a look at it tonight.

jeff

That shiny metal cap in the second photo doesn't look right. The extension rail has a normal looking black end fitting that is used to turn the long rod in the middle of the tube. I suspect the original black end piece has broken off, and someone has jury-rigged this shiny metal piece instead.

The standard rail just has black end caps should just screw off easily.

In a normal system it's a black end that gets turned. It's either connected to the inner rod of the extension, or just a cap.

It could be that the black end piece is actually the extension rail. Try turning that. If it comes of easily, then it's just a cap for the standard rail. If it turns, but doesn't come off, then it's the extension rail, and should release from the main rail.

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    That shiny metal cap in the second photo doesn't look right. The extension rail has a normal looking black end fitting that is used to turn the long rod in the middle of the tube. I suspect the original black end piece has broken off, and someone has jury-rigged this shiny metal piece instead.

The standard rail just has black end caps should just screw off easily.

In a normal system it's a black end that gets turned. It's either connected to the inner rod of the extension, or just a cap.
    I don't think this is the standard rail that is on the 4x5 B1 - the main section is 65cm from the joint with the extension to the shinny cap on the other end. I cannot find any reference photos online for a later model B1 8x10 such as this. I suspect that the shiny cap is original, and is aluminum (not black plastic) because the rod that goes down the center of the rail is so long, and so would have to be torqued a little harder to make for a tight joint. The black cap on the front end will not come off.

Does the black cap turn? If it turns, but doesn't come off, then it's the extension. The plain end caps should come off quite easily. That shiny cap looks way too cheesy to be anything made by Linhof.