Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lights in the darkroom

Re: Lights in the darkroom

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Doremus, I certainly will defer to you on all things darkroom related, but the data sheet that came with my Fomatone MG Classic glossy paper states that orange safelight or another "type of safety illumination" is called for. I've used OC filtered (orangish?) safelight in my tiny darkroom for years and have not noticed any fogging with the Fomatone MG glossy, or with Ilford or any other brand I've used. Based on your assertion, though, I will do a safelight test.
    Ben,

Well, I took a look at the data sheets for the Foma papers I use, namely Fomabrom 111 graded and Fomabrom Variant 111 (glossy, fiber-base). I says the following:

"Safelighting
    FOMABROM is routinely processed at indirect safety illumination with wavelength of 575 nm and higher, corresponding colour of safety illumination is yellow, yellow-green, amber or orange colours are recommended. Regarding its high sensitivity the processed material has to be exposed to such illumination only for the time necessary for its processing. Length of exposure and a distance of the processed material from the illumination source should be tested. Direct light has to be diffused by inserting mat glass."

So, you appear to be correct.

However, I had fogging problems with Fomabrom under Kodak OC safelight filters. The paper definitely didn't pass the Kodak safelight test with OC filters and did when I replaced them with red Wratten #1A filters. Possibly the intensity was too high and the paper would have passed the test with less-intense OC safelight. That said, my darkroom is now quite bright, although red, and the Foma papers pass the test. If your paper (which I don't use), passes the test, then you're fine.

The Fomatone seems to be less sensitive to light than Fomabrom. Here's the info from the data sheet:

"Safelighting
    FOMATONE MG is routinely processed at indirect safety illumination with wavelength of 610 nm and higher, corresponding colour of safety llumination is orange. Regarding its low sensitivity the processed material can be exposed to such and/or another adequate type of safety illumination for longer period than common types of black and white papers (Fomabrom, Fomaspeed, etc.)."

It appears I should modify my blanket statement above to: Fomabrom and Fomaspeed will fog less easily with a red safelight than OC illumination, or something similar.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Ben,

Well, I took a look at the data sheets for the Foma papers I use, namely Fomabrom 111 graded and Fomabrom Variant 111 (glossy, fiber-base). I says the following:

"Safelighting
    FOMABROM is routinely processed at indirect safety illumination with wavelength of 575 nm and higher, corresponding colour of safety illumination is yellow, yellow-green, amber or orange colours are recommended. Regarding its high sensitivity the processed material has to be exposed to such illumination only for the time necessary for its processing. Length of exposure and a distance of the processed material from the illumination source should be tested. Direct light has to be diffused by inserting mat glass."

So, you appear to be correct.

However, I had fogging problems with Fomabrom under Kodak OC safelight filters. The paper definitely didn't pass the Kodak safelight test with OC filters and did when I replaced them with red Wratten #1A filters. Possibly the intensity was too high and the paper would have passed the test with less-intense OC safelight. That said, my darkroom is now quite bright, although red, and the Foma papers pass the test. If your paper (which I don't use), passes the test, then you're fine.

The Fomatone seems to be less sensitive to light than Fomabrom. Here's the info from the data sheet:

"Safelighting
    FOMATONE MG is routinely processed at indirect safety illumination with wavelength of 610 nm and higher, corresponding colour of safety llumination is orange. Regarding its low sensitivity the processed material can be exposed to such and/or another adequate type of safety illumination for longer period than common types of black and white papers (Fomabrom, Fomaspeed, etc.)."

It appears I should modify my blanket statement above to: Fomabrom and Fomaspeed will fog less easily with a red safelight than OC illumination, or something similar.

Best,

Doremus
    "You appear to be correct."

Wow! Thank you, Doremus. The last time I was correct about anything was sometime back in the 1970s, but I can't recall the exact date.

Anyway, I'm glad I don't have to rush out and buy a red safe light.

Ben, the same issue arose for me, indirectly, when I was testing Fomatone for the first time and could not achieve the several highest contrast grades. It was suggested that I double-check safelight fogging. I did, and quite thoroughly. MY solution when using this paper is to aim my to OC bullet-design safelights at ceiling/wall. I'm attaching the layout of my darkroom. The lighting is especially dim at teh development tray, though sufficient at my paper cutter and enlarger. Many would find this a non-starter, but I use Fomatone occasionally as a second paper, Ilford WT being king for me, so I don't mind, since my paper development is standardized and I don't do any manipulation anyway. I see what has developed when the lights come on.

I tested for 5 minutes at both the paper cutter and the fixer tray (2 ft. closer to the safelight than the dev tray).

I just don't like red light and would rather work in dim amber.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Ben, the same issue arose for me, indirectly, when I was testing Fomatone for the first time and could not achieve the several highest contrast grades. It was suggested that I double-check safelight fogging. I did, and quite thoroughly. MY solution when using this paper is to aim my to OC bullet-design safelights at ceiling/wall. I'm attaching the layout of my darkroom. The lighting is especially dim at teh development tray, though sufficient at my paper cutter and enlarger. Many would find this a non-starter, but I use Fomatone occasionally as a second paper, Ilford WT being king for me, so I don't mind, since my paper development is standardized and I don't do any manipulation anyway. I see what has developed when the lights come on.

I tested for 5 minutes at both the paper cutter and the fixer tray (2 ft. closer to the safelight than the dev tray).

I just don't like red light and would rather work in dim amber.

Hi Philip,
    I do the same. I have one small OC safelight that I bounce off the ceiling over my sink. It’s quite dim, but it works for me.
    My darkroom is only about 5-feet-wide, by about 10-feet-long. One small safelight is all I need.