Thread: Bevan Davies

Jeffery Dale Welker

Bevan Davies

I recently became aware of a photographer named Bevan Davies. A couple of references I read indicates he photographed with an 8x10. Nazraeli Press quotes Joshua Chuang from the introduction to Davies' monograph "New York, 1975" where he states; "When the photographs in this book were first exhibited in 1976, their formal austerity and apparently neutral stance invited comparison with the contemporaneous work of Lewis Baltz, Bernd and Hilla Becher, and other photographers featured in the seminal 'New Topographics' exhibition. Distance, however, has revealed their concerns and temperament to be more akin to those of Marville or Atget, both of whom had a special feeling for the life and death of buildings (and thus of place), or Walker Evans, whose pictures Lincoln Kirstein praised for their "clear, hideous and beautiful detail, their open insanity and pitiful grandeur."

Any comments or thoughts about Bevan Davies work would be sincerely appreciated. There isn't much background I've found online regarding Mr. Davies.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Re: Bevan Davies

I’ve always liked his work. I kind of agree with the characterization you posted/quoted in that I see his work occupying a sort of middle ground between the Topographics and people like Tice and others who’s work is more about “time and place”.