Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Padded case/bag suggestions for Chamonix 45H1

Padded case/bag suggestions for Chamonix 45H1

I've recently given up on using dedicated camera bags/backpacks with padded compartments and instead have just been using normal hiking day packs with everything packed loosely but securely in the main pack compartment. Fragile stuff is protected with Domke wraps and/or the dark cloth of course. For my Chamonix 45H1 I've just been using the padded bag it came with but the bag is somewhat filmsy, the zipper is starting to fall apart, and it feels like it's just slightly larger than it needs to be. Does anyone have any suggestions for a small padded bag that fits the 45H1 just right?

Re: Padded case/bag suggestions for Chamonix 45H1

Our very own Daniel Stone I think should be able to provide what you need

https://www.stonephotogear.com/cases

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I carry my Wista DX, four lenses, two sets of six filters in 52mm and 67mm sizes, a darkcloth,a pair of mechanics gloves (for rock scrambling) and a one-liter water bottle in a lumbar/waist pack (the water bottle goes in the dedicated slot on one side of the main compartment). In warmer weather, I wear a fly-fishing vest with lots of pockets for other stuff like meter, viewing filter, lens and camera cleaning stuff, lens hood, flashlight, and so forth. In colder weather I use pockets in my coat for these. I could carry the meter in the pack as well, but I like it handy and tethered by a lanyard to my vest so that if I drop it, it won't hit the ground.

I don't use lens wraps, etc. The camera goes in without anything around it. Each lens is in a double-sided corrugated cardboard box that I've made to fit each lens. They're sturdy enough that I can carry the camera on top them (it usually sits on one). Sturdier would be Masonite or something similar, but double-corrugated and duct tape have done well for me over the years. Lenses are: 90mm Nikkor f/8, 135mm Nikkor W f/5.6, 203mm Ektar f/7.7, and 300mm Nikkor M f/9 on a top-hat board. I'll often carry a Fujinon A 180mm or 240mm in addition, or substitute a 75mm f/5.6 for the 90mm depending on what I think I'll need.

Six filmholders go in a separate pouch (sometimes with another small lens to make five altogether) along with my exposure record notebook. This is slung cross-body over a shoulder. The tripod gets carried in one hand most of the time, but can be strapped onto the bottom of the lumbar pack when needed.

I think my pack is a Mountainsmith currently, but I've had a few. The pack has a shoulder strap as well as the waist belt so I can unclasp the waist belt and swing the pack around to one side to work out of like a shoulder bag (the shoulder strap is also good insurance should the buckle on the waist belt fail). Neither my equipment nor my pack ever have to touch the ground (with the exception of the tripod feet ).

When I set up, the tripod goes up and the filmholder pouch gets hung from the knob for the center column or the hook I've installed at the bottom of the center column. This makes it easy to access and helps stabilize the tripod a bit. Everything else I need is either in my pack (now at my side) or my vest/coat pockets.

Weight is distributed well this way and the kit is easy to work from. The best part is never having to lay my pack on the ground. I can work in snow, mud or even knee-deep water this way.

There's a pic of me with my kit in action on my website somewhere if you're interested.

Best,

Doremus

That is one thing I miss about the F-Stop pack I was using before my current bag. It's both top and panel loading but the panel that opens is on the back behind the straps, so if I did need to lay it down in mud or other non-ideal surfaces I didn't really care because only the front of the bag was getting wet, not anything that would later come in contact with me or my clothes. Unfortunately that was pretty much the only good thing about that bag. It has a waist belt that really only stabilizes the pack and provides no load bearing, and the shoulder straps are thin and flimsy and don't distribute the weight all that well either. The HPG Umlindi pack I'm using now solves both those issues in addition to just being much more well-made.

I pity our children they all carry a big load
    Tin Can

I've always been partial to ThinkTank Airport photo backpacks. When I had a 4x5 Chamonix, I used one to carry the camera and a bunch of lenses in one. Took a number of falls on Class 4.0 (Yosemite Decimal System) trails over the years with it on my back and although I got scrapped up a bit, the equipment was totally survived untouched. ThinkTank Airport photo backpacks aren't nearly as comfortable as a classic DANA backpack, but just plain work in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I've always been partial to ThinkTank Airport photo backpacks. When I had a 4x5 Chamonix, I used one to carry the camera and a bunch of lenses in one. Took a number of falls on Class 4.0 (Yosemite Decimal System) trails over the years with it on my back and although I got scrapped up a bit, the equipment was totally survived untouched. ThinkTank Airport photo backpacks aren't nearly as comfortable as a classic DANA backpack, but just plain work in the field.
    The Tenba BYOB 10 case might be a good insert without the dividers if you are looking for just the padded ICU. Wide at bottom and narrower at top.

I like the Shimoda backpacks because of the top load and back access with custom ICUs available or use ICUs from any vendor. They are comfortable to wear though the hip belt could be beefier. You will want at least 40L. I use the 60L Action pack for my 5x12 but if I cut back on lenses I can carry 4x5 and 5x12 cameras, film holders for both, and almost all the other accessories.

For comfort when hiking I have not found anything better than the Atlas back packs - 4x5 only. The Adventure pack opens completely from the back which makes working easy. Their Origami sectioning may be useful so you can carry the camera without an ICU.

Both options are pricey but have held up well for me.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

A photo backpack or something like the Shimoda with a padded ICU are exactly what I'm looking to get away from using. The F-Stop Ajna with the large ICU was decent, but like I said the design of the bag itself especially when it came to how it carried and distributed weight left a lot to be desired. The pack I'm using now has a capacity of about 30L but because I'm not using an ICU I can use that space much more efficiently. Even after loading up my Chamonix, film holders, lenses, meter, dark cloth, etc. I have more space left in the bag than the 40L Ajna and its ICU did with the same exact loadout. And because the pack itself and its harness system and belt are properly designed it's much more comfortable to carry all of that over longer distances.

Basically what I'm looking for is pretty much exactly what Richard posted earlier, a small padded case that fits the Chamonix perfectly. I didn't expect to find one custom-made for that camera specifically so that was a nice surprise, I just need to reach out to the manufacturer and make sure my 45H1 will also fit in that case. It's a few mm larger in every dimension than the 45N/F models I'm pretty sure.

Don;t know if this works zixe wise but you can also get mating film holder cases.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/36432484946...3ABFBMkKOC4_Zi

Attachable film cases.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/26525200323...3ABFBMiKOC4_Zi

I use this back pack from them with my Chaminix 45H-1 See the first two listing in back or gray. They come with two film holder cases.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...33dde4bd513e8e

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    +1 for the ThinkTank Airport backpacks. I’ve used the larger one for a few years for my Linhof MT2000 and 5-6 lenses plus dark cloth and some bits and pieces - and also taken some falls and stumbles out in Nat Parks without harm to the contents. And all the zippers and straps have held up very well to hard use. I have a ThinkTank belt system and pouches for my film holders and light meter, and usually carry my CF tripod in my hand (or strapped onto the backpack). I don’t often wander too far from the car however, but can if I’d like.

I also have the smaller TT Airport backpack that I use for my Mamiya 7 and 7ii MF kit, for which I use the same tripod and have a small wallet for extra films. When using either the LF 4x5 or Mamiya kits I wear a photographer’s vest with pockets for filters, shutter releases and other accessories (including my iPhone).

All the ThinkTank gear I’ve purchased has been very well made and reliable in the field, never letting me down.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo