Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today I threw away all my outdated film !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Today I threw away all my outdated film !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    I am tossing it. Its G O N E !! I am relieved.
    I applaud your move --I even think that I understand it. And I love your fighting spirit. The fact that you posted your act moves me, too. In any case, not every self-ish act is wrong. To be sure, the freedom to act according to one’s own lights in pursuit of self determination is in fact a necessary (but quickly disappearing) condition for human happiness. Besides who is more selfish in the conventional sense, one who liberates and renews himself at no cost to another other than a bargain on a box of film, or one who would deny another's liberation and renewal to gain a bargain on a box of film?

Notwithstanding, would you be good enough to tell me where you tossed the 8x10 film?
    Last edited by Durst L184; 6-Nov-2023 at 10:56.
    Art is true of all times. If one must call a work contemporary, then it's propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    I have over 100 rolls of expired 120 and a few boxes of 4x5 and 8x10 film. I just do not want to shoot the outdated film. I tried to use it but I just could not make myself do it. It became outdated because I have been suffering from two heart attacks ( Open heart Surgery included ) and cancer during the last 8 years. I don't want to relive that time by shooting the outdated film. I am tossing it. Its G O N E !! I am relieved. ! The burden and reminder of my health challenges is gone. I have many many rolls and sheets of new film I will enjoy them.

Maybe you think this is selfish? YES IT IS! It is for my Mental Health. Like giving away my old clothes and then buying new fashions to celebrate the present an the hope of the future.

Renewal is usually in the spring But I will not have another cold snowy winter with that burden in my Fridge
    Good for you! Clear out the mess.

Totally understand the feelings, good for you could do what you did. I was declared terminal when I was 33. When it was clear that I could survive, I threw away a lot too, I didn't want anything connected to the bad times. Starting fresh, new life, new stuff.
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

I've done that as well, so I may have some idea of what you're experiencing.

Oh, it really hurt!! I had so many 4x5 boxes, MF, in both color and black and white, etc., etc. But, it had all been "safely" stored in a medium sized refrigerator, and refrigerator stopped working.

As expensive as film has become, it is indeed "refreshing" to purchase new.

You don’t throw away expired film - you donate it to the local photography department at a nearby high school or college.

I truly love my 1890 NOS Plates, given to me

I shot this 5X7 ASAP in this timeless shack

Avatar HAT 1890 Glass NEg by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

In similar circumstances, I threw out all my chemicals after reopening/refurbishing the darkroom, albeit some seem OK. Starting everything anew. But i did keep all the old TRi-X, expired 10 and more years ago. I will test these when I have time to do so. Now using TMY in Xtol, a clean break from TRI-X in HC110. And adopted RC paper, also a break from before.
    J. K.

I still buy AZO
    Tin Can

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Tossing away the film??? You want to give us hearth attack? But I know the feeling of having old things that are lingering around, taking up place, asking uncomfortable questions... In such cases I donate (if I'm not in mood of selling) and I'll recommend it for everybody. But congratulations for the fresh start!