Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biggest Lie

Re: Biggest Lie

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I find it intriguing that some photographers choose not to showcase their work online, opting instead for physical displays.
    In contrast, my approach is quite different. Today, I only make small prints (8.5x11") that I store in archival boxes, intending to gift them to my child after I pass.

Best to everyone,
    Darr
    The reverse is true for me, but that is only because I am creating objects (prints) as an art form...where the object itself is part of the piece of art. Somewhat like the difference between seeing a play performed in front of you, and seeing it on TV. There are qualities that do not survive the electronic/digital reproduction process. Or perhaps, it is like trying to understand the three-dimensional qualities of a piece of sculpture from a single flat image.

Again, this is my approach...not the only good one nor the best one for anyone else.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

My less than 20 best printed by professionals are perfect

I have a 4x5 foot plus huge frame

I made it for me. I love it all day, as I pass it

The printer was very worried as I specified rough Matt

They wanted to FIX IT!

No glazing allowed or wanted

I see it as magical

My best art is printed on metal

Not for everything
    Tin Can

the question to be asking from this video is not about "are you a photographer if you dont let others see your photographs" but.. the gquestion is

Do you really believe that NONE of her film was ever made into prints during her life time? Looking at the prints, and even accounting for digital cleaning of htem,,, do those images REALLY look as is she never saw the results of her shots? Alot of dobuel exposure shots could only have been made by a person who KNEW from first hand results, how to do a double exposure shot correctly, that comes from printing them out..

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Not sure about that statement. Of course, marketing and publicity can draw attention to one's work and some might even take the bait. But in the end current taste and time will tell if the work is truly bad or good. People collect Keene paintings and Thomas Kincade, that doesn't make them good.

Not much is known about Ms Maier, but what we do seem to know she was fairly private, using the camera as a shield to observe the world around her. It is entirely possible that the existence of social media at that time might have been something she would have used as it does not entail real human contact.

we're living in the post post-modern age where an internet article on buzz feed or petapixel can get 40,000 people to apply for a job that typically 30 people would have known about 30 years ago ( the last time the position became vacant ). pr is magical. I just watched a antiques roadshow 10 years later thing and someone's keene that was appraised at 7-8grand is worth 25grand because of the movie that was made .. not sure about kincade, he's kind of like the AA of the painting world, some people love his work, some people hate it, I don't really have an invested interest or opinion about any of them, the lady whose negatives were all found, keene, kincade or adams .. but if a cheep, poorly produced iphone-live/animated NFT collection becomes available for any of them, I'll be all in ..

I know I saw online our hero in a French photography shop with prints made in that shop as she examined HER prints on the counter

Keeping art or NOT ART hidden is very common

I show the same old same old all the time

as most hate it

so I won't

Think about the places we work, we do it for $$$

not to make friends

never trust coworkers

Quote Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
    the question to be asking from this video is not about "are you a photographer if you dont let others see your photographs" but.. the gquestion is

Do you really believe that NONE of her film was ever made into prints during her life time? Looking at the prints, and even accounting for digital cleaning of htem,,, do those images REALLY look as is she never saw the results of her shots? Alot of dobuel exposure shots could only have been made by a person who KNEW from first hand results, how to do a double exposure shot correctly, that comes from printing them out..
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I know I saw online our hero in a French photography shop with prints made in that shop as she examined HER prints on the counter

Keeping art or NOT ART hidden is very common

I show the same old same old all the time

as most hate it

so I won't

Think about the places we work, we do it for $$$

not to make friends

never trust coworkers
    im happy if they just dont crap on the toilet

This is a modern web culture moment when you step back from the question and ask yourself “is my time better spent cutting my toenails?”.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"