Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Lie

Re: Biggest Lie

Good point.
    Defining an audience makes life much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidotas View Post
    Good point.
    Defining an audience makes life much easier.
    But what exactly do you take the point (TC’s point) to be? (1) Is he simply giving a title to the video (borrowing language from the video itself), which would appear to at least be a claim to have identified a certain thesis in the video (and he perhaps strongly concurs with that thesis), or (2) do you think that he has accurately identified a thesis in the video (a proposition), which he also adamantly believes is false?

TC’s take on the video is not exactly clear.
    Last edited by Durst L184; 5-Nov-2023 at 14:02.
    Art is true of all times. If one must call a work contemporary, then it's propaganda.

multiplex

I thought catfishing people was the biggest lie. >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the...u're_a_dog

Off-hand, I can think of a thousand bigger lies than in this video. I never showed my photography to others to any extent, but that doesn't mean self-critique can't work very well. Web-hosting services would like everyone to have websites for showing their work, but that would be like any marketing lies to make money. This seems more the rule than not today, that lying to make money is always justified and okay. Whoever found those lost works can sell them at a high price provided they have great marketing skills.

Alan Townsend

Not sure what the lie is. But TC certainly got a lot of people to watch a fairly bland video with a lot of nice photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Not sure what the lie is. But TC certainly got a lot of people to watch a fairly bland video with a lot of nice photos.
    As I recall, the biggest lie is that you need to show your photography to others to be a great photographer, while other just do great photography on an island so to speak. The video is about a woman who died and it was discovered she had a trove of great photography she had done over her years as an amateur.

Myself, I live in a cave. Maybe my paintings will be found some day and everyone will think I'm a neanderthal.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Townsend View Post
    The video is about a woman who died and it was discovered she had a trove of great photography she had done over her years as an amateur.
    being perceived as "good" has nothing to do with being an amateur or professional, it just has to do with marketing, hype and where people's heads are at. and no one knows if she did or didn't show her photographs to anyone, it's all speculation because no one knows anything about her, and people fabricate stories and tell yarns. plenty of people think all sorts of things are "good" it really doesn't mean that those things are good it just means a lot of people are swayed by public opinion / hype or/ and find some commonality with the subject matter, or maybe have done whatever it is that person whose work is being hyped themselves and ...

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    being perceived as "good" has nothing to do with being an amateur or professional, it just has to do with marketing, hype and where people's heads are at. and no one knows if she did or didn't show her photographs to anyone, it's all speculation because no one knows anything about her, and people fabricate stories and tell yarns. plenty of people think all sorts of things are "good" it really doesn't mean that those things are good it just means a lot of people are swayed by public opinion / hype or/ and find some commonality with the subject matter, or maybe have done whatever it is that person whose work is being hyped themselves and ...
    Not sure about that statement. Of course, marketing and publicity can draw attention to one's work and some might even take the bait. But in the end current taste and time will tell if the work is truly bad or good. People collect Keene paintings and Thomas Kincade, that doesn't make them good.

Not much is known about Ms Maier, but what we do seem to know she was fairly private, using the camera as a shield to observe the world around her. It is entirely possible that the existence of social media at that time might have been something she would have used as it does not entail real human contact.

many artists

the smart hide

i make art for myself

i prefer streets

i made this to become

and begin

i am shaman but did not know until

my lover knew

i had a blast with my nogard ART car

1-3-12-Battle scars by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can