Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bathroom darkroom plumbing question

bathroom darkroom plumbing question

I'm in the process of putting together a darkroom in my bathroom for making 11x14 enlargements from 35mm negs and some contact prints from big negs. I've been reading through a bunch of threads on this. I have an enlarger on the way, plan to put it on cart and have found a fish cleaning sink that will fit perfectly next to my shower and fit 3 11x14 trays. The sink has a hose that I think I can run into the toilet for a drain. This is my only bathroom so I'll be breaking it down when not in use and will still need to have access to the toilet, sink, and shower when I leave the darkroom set up for a few days at a time.

My question involves water/hose. It could be possible to screw a long hose onto my bathroom sink spigot and run it the 6-8 feet horizontally across the space to provide water in the fish cleaning sink. However it seems like it's asking for a big spill. Could it be possible/a good idea to to try split or tap into the cold water line that runs from the wall into the back of the toilet? I'm not planning to process film so Temp control is not an issue. Not worried about water filter either. Just wondering if I could split that line and run it up the 2 feet vertically into the sink without messing up the pressure/integrity of that water line. (i'm also a renter so trying not make any huge alterations)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9347.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	243586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9348.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	243587

Re: bathroom darkroom plumbing question

It's easy to do if you have the right tools, and if that is a standard water pipe (ex. 1/2") that runs to a shut-off valve to the toilet. All you need to do is get a Y-joint between the water pipe and the valve to the toilet.

BUT in order to do that you have to have access to a shut off valve BEFORE the valve to the toilet. You shut that valve off, drain the water pipes (at the lowest point possible), install the Y-joint, and turn the water back on.

The end of the Y-joint going to your sink can be just about anything, but add another shut-off valve in that line.

What floor, basement?

Use New PCV WHITE PIPE
    Very cheap

Renting?
    Tin Can

If it is a tear down when needed situation, you may want to consider putting the sink over the bath tub to drain the water. Then use a splitter for a shower head and a separate hose. More mistake proof. Also, easier to adjust water flow.
    My first darkroom was in my bedroom, and used my dresser covered with a shower curtain for the enlarger and trays. Once the prints were fixed I moved them into the shower to wash. My current darkroom has a 20 foot sink - compensation.
    Mike

Thank you Xkaes, that's exactly the info I was looking for.

Tin Can - Ground floor - no basement.
    Thanks Michael, no tub, shower only situation. But maybe shower head splitter makes sense for print washer.
    Last edited by Chester McCheeserton; 5-Nov-2023 at 06:30.

Agree with draining into the shower. Also, if you're a renter, I would strongly advise against doing any alteration of plumbing. If there are water issues because of this work, you may end up looking for a new apartment. If your landlord is cool, I'd bring it up with them and do the shower Y tbh. Lastly, do you also really need running water or can water in a container that you scoop from, suffice for most of the process ? Good luck and happy printing.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I have a tub and use a shower head splitter from home depot. It was a simple install and the hose is removable.

Thanks Fred and j.e.

I don't really need running water except for the print washer, and I'd like to have it in the holding bath as well if I can figure it out. But it would also be great to be able to rinse the trays in the sink other than my bathroom or kitchen one and mix the chemistry there as well.

Separate question – how crucial do people feel that painting the walls black is? right now the wall is white, painting it back from black whenever I move out doesn't sound that fun

The only place where black on the walls/ceiling CAN be useful is around the enlarger -- to capture light leaks. Other light leaks (doors, windows, etc.) are dealt with differently -- caulking, towels, etc.

So instead of painting around the enlarger, cover light leaks with black felt, etc. -- and/or hang black trash bags, plastic, etc.

Check your "darkroom" for light leaks, fix them, and then check your enlarger for light leaks -- and fix them.

Testing your safelight is separate, but any wall color is fine. Actually white is better because you can use a weaker safelight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    Thanks Fred and j.e.

I don't really need running water except for the print washer, and I'd like to have it in the holding bath as well if I can figure it out. But it would also be great to be able to rinse the trays in the sink other than my bathroom or kitchen one and mix the chemistry there as well.

Separate question – how crucial do people feel that painting the walls black is? right now the wall is white, painting it back from black whenever I move out doesn't sound that fun
    No need to paint anything black. If you are getting stray light from your enlarger, just tape or pin some black paper/mat board on the wall behind it. As a matter of fact, light-colored walls will make the darkroom brighter and easier to work in as they reflect the safelight.