Thread: I fell off the horse...

Tim Sandstrom

I fell off the horse...

TL;DR - I got back on...

Stopped shooting for a whole year, didn't print for a couple years. Film backed up into boxes.

Then slowly, like a little mouse... got out the books: Ansel (because that's where I started), Atget (because I adopted him as family long ago), then Kenna (because I can't print like him), Kertesz (because he's more curious than I), Loranc (just because), and Robert Adams (because my pictures are often just 'pretty' aesthetic scenes)... I perused my lightroom catalog an nauseam. Mostly reorganized the thousands of images: roll film and sheet. Found work I forgot I'd done. And found gratitude that I've done so much work at all, some of which is good.

Now I'm printing again, sort of obsessed. I've printed 12 days in the last month - a lot for me. And the prints are good - again, for me. I started with 5x7, but then backed off and went back to the 6x6 and 6x9, I'm working back up to the 4x5, and there is sooo much work to print. What a joyful 'problem' to have.

Blessings to you, wherever you are in your arc.

-Tim

ps - thanks for this forum, where I lurk and learn. I've not much to add to all the technical discussions, and my skills are suspect at best, but my enthusiam almost never wanes.

Re: I fell off the horse...

Quote Originally Posted by dasBlute View Post
    TL;DR - I got back on...

Stopped shooting for a whole year, didn't print for a couple years. Film backed up into boxes.

Then slowly, little a little mouse... got out the books: Ansel (because that's where I started), Atget (because I adopted him as family long ago), then Kenna (because I can't print like him), Kertesz (because he's more curious than I), Loranc (just because), and Robert Adams (because my pictures are often just 'pretty' aesthetic scenes)... I perused my lightroom catalog an nauseam. Mostly reorganized the thousands of images: roll film and sheet. Found work I forgot I'd done. And found gratitude that I've done so much work at all, some of which is good.

Now I'm printing again, sort of obsessed. I've printed 12 days in the last month - a lot for me. And the prints are good - again, for me. I started with 5x7, but then backed off and went back to the 6x6 and 6x9, I'm working back up to the 4x5, and there is sooo much work to print. What a joyful 'problem' to have.

-Tim

ps - thanks for this forum, where I lurk and learn. I've not much to add to all the technical discussions, and my skills are suspect at best, but my enthusiam almost never wanes.

Tim, welcome back! We all go through the droughts --- I've seen it with the best.

Merg

I remember back around '93, I stopped photographing. I just didn't want to. I was still feeling guilty for abandoning drawing. Up until then, my photography consisted of medium format (RB67 which I still have and use today!) After about 6 months of doing nothing, I saw an add in the classified section of Asahi Camera (I was living in Japan then) for a used Cambo 4x5 up in Tokyo, with two holders for cheap. So, I ordered it. I tore open the box as soon as it arrived, and I've never looked back! Even the camera's strong odour of cigarettes didn't deter me! It must have once belonged to a chain smoking studio photographer!

More power to you, Tim -- will power, staying power, the power of ideas.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

loujon

Welcome back brother Tim!
    Missed you around here so glad you've remounted.

This is a great example to all of us.

Don't sell yourself short - I've always enjoyed your images.

Quote Originally Posted by dasBlute View Post
    TL;DR - I got back on...

Then slowly, like a little mouse... got out the books: Ansel (because that's where I started), Atget (because I adopted him as family long ago), then Kenna (because I can't print like him), Kertesz (because he's more curious than I), Loranc (just because), and Robert Adams (because my pictures are often just 'pretty' aesthetic scenes)... I perused my lightroom catalog an nauseam. Mostly reorganized the thousands of images: roll film and sheet. Found work I forgot I'd done. And found gratitude that I've done so much work at all, some of which is good.

-Tim

Tim I used to love seeing your work on Flickr back in the day glad to hear you're back into the swing of things.