Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Permethrin on camera case?

Re: Permethrin on camera case?

I was out and about in the summer, hiking. I had the Technika with me. In a normal hiking backpack. When I put the backpack down, a tick crawled up the shoulder strap. The tick then bit me on the side, under the armpit. Four weeks later I had the reddening of the skin. The reddening lasted 5 weeks. I had to take antibiotics for 2 weeks. Fortunately I am vaccinated against TBE. But due to an insect bite I suffered erysipelas. This again had to be treated with antibiotics. - Ticks are a PITA, but if you catch a tick bite in time, you won't die from it. Think of all the forest workers and farmers.

I used to often use a waterproof backpack with the zipper on the back instead on the front or top. When you take that off, everything stays clean and dry and the shoulder straps and padding, which smells like sweat, which the ticks love, points up. Today I use this backpack again, packing the photo equipment in a Tenba Byob 13 and putting the insert in the backpack.

https://www.ortlieb.com/de_en/atrack

https://de.tenba.com/tenba-byob-13-camera-insert-black/

You can take the Tenba insert out, it has a shoulder strap. It fits 6 4x5 cassettes, two to three lenses, the Sekonic Spotmeter L 758, a Horseman magnifier and a Technika. What more could you want? The tripod can be attached to the outside.

If the backpack is dirty (mud, cow dung, ticks, seawater), you just hold it under the shower. If the backpack is closed, it makes no difference whether the camera is inside or not.

I'm also looking forward to take photos in the fog this fall and go snowshoeing in the winter.
    Last edited by Daniel Casper Lohenstein; 26-Oct-2023 at 04:19.

One study found that ticks have a hard time gripping human hair compared to animal fur which ticks use to get close to the skin. On humans ticks use clothing to get close enough to bite so a study was done comparing nudist camps with similar fully clothed camps. The result, the best clothing to avoid tick bites is no clothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    One study found that ticks have a hard time gripping human hair compared to animal fur which ticks use to get close to the skin. On humans ticks use clothing to get close enough to bite so a study was done comparing nudist camps with similar fully clothed camps. The result, the best clothing to avoid tick bites is no clothing at all.
    Deet would be good at Nudist colonies.

Drew Wiley

Ha! The best insect repellant is actually having someone along who is especially a biting bug attractant.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    I have an opportunity to go photographing on an estate where I know deer and other critters roam. It's not tick season, but the weather is mid-70s. Is it OK to spray permethrin on my camera bag as well as lower clothes? I'll be laying my bag down in fields, etc. My 4x5 bag is nylon; MF bag is canvas.
    Some pyrethrin type repellants don't last once the sun hits them ( if it is the chrysanthemum based stuff sometimes it decomposes in sunlight ).
    If you have someplace like REI or similar outdoor entertainment store close by they might be able to point you in the right direction.

If you need to put your bag on the ground maybe spray permethrin on a white t-shirt and put that on the ground with your bag on top. If you want to keep permethrin fully away from the bag maybe set it on a white trash bag. Much easier to see anything crawling on the white trash bag.

Drew Wiley

One thing about permethrin clothing is that it makes you smell like treated dog bedding. Better than getting bitten, but still an annoyance. Speaking of which, quite a few people pick up ticks from within their own homes, due to allowing their dog to run around in the grass while out on walks, and not thoroughly checking it afterwards.

Permethrin on camera case?

I always carry a rolled up heavy garbage where a water bottle is likely to go on the side of my pack. I reach back, pull it out, and spread on the ground to create a “sterile area” before putting my pack down.

No ticks, mud, sand, etc….

Pack up, put on the pack, pick up the garbage bag, “shake it like a Polaroid picture”, and stuff it back where it came from.

No need to spray.

Works every time….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk