Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben-Q Monitors

Ben-Q Monitors

If you're looking for a monitor or unhappy with what you have, consider purchasing a Ben-Q. I have two, and I think they're terrific.

Not wishing to overwhelm my space with oversized monitors, I chose two SW240 24 inch monitors. They claim to offer a gamut that's 99% of Adobe RGB '98. B&H indicated that they're high quality, in that Ben-Q manufactures their own screens. (They don't rebrand other manufacturer's hardware.)

Like a true graphics color monitor, they offer 10-bit color depth and a 12-bit look up table. But to achieve the latter, one needs to use Ben-Q's own Pallet Master Element color-management software. (Downloads are free.) Like the monitors themselves, this is excellent software and easy to use. My old X-Rite Display II Pro colorimeter works fine with this software. One can select from either "Basic" or "Advanced" modes. To install the 12-bit table, one needs to select the "Advanced" mode and also plug in an accessory cable that's supplied with the monitor. One end is a USB connector for the computer, and the opposite end plugs into its own special port on the back of the monitor. This cable also enables convenient USB ports on the side of the monitor.

Going into Advanced mode, one can select from the usual defaults. In particular, I leave in place the D65 white balance (similar to a 6500 Kelvin white balance), the standard 2.2 Gamma, the Adobe '98 gamut selection, and the "Absolute Zero" black point. However, I have better luck if I lower the Luminance target from 120 to 100. (I work in a darkened room.) Advancing to the next screen, I increase the patch set from "Small" to "Large" to achieve the most sensitive look-up table. Thereafter, it's a matter of placing the colorimeter on the monitor and beginning the measurement phase for profiling.

What's neat about this software when used with Ben-Q monitors, RGB color, contrast, and brightness levels are automatically set in the background by the software. No need to mess around with buttons. Moreover, once the profile has been completed and installed in the correct folder, to avoid unanticipated errors, the software-monitor combination disables the brightness and contrast controls. (Of course, changing either will throw off color management and correct use of the profile.) Very cool! If one finds that the whites in their color managed monitor images are either too bright or too dull, one can lower or increase the Luminance value by color managing the monitor a second time.

Having color managed many different types of monitors with different colorimeters, this is by far the most sophisticated, and easiest to use, system that I've encountered.

Check B&H, and you'll find that the price of these graphics quality monitors is definitely right.

So, three cheers from me for Ben-Q.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 20-Oct-2023 at 14:08.

Re: Ben-Q Monitors

FYI The special port is just a USB-B female connection. I agree with you that the SW240 is a great bargain for a hardware calibration capable monitor. It is able to reach 98% Adobe RGB. I would try D55 as D65 is still a bit cool and will match your printed output better.

I was thinking that about D65, even though it's the default. Thanks, I'll give D55 a try. As it is, I came down from the default luminance from 120 (candelas/meter-squared) down to 110, and then down to 100.

Back in the CRT days, 100 was typical. But when LCD monitors were introduced, the default went to 120. Way too bright for me, though.

I have three Ben-Q monitors. I have them all calibrated to the ICC standard. For the money they are the best buy currently on the market.

-Joshua

A simple question please--I just received a BenQ monitor, the 272Q--and everything is now in the learning curve. Is it advisable to shut down the monitor after a days work, intermittent work or to leave it on?

Any heads up suggestions would be appreciated
    Thank you

That's a good question.

Not really knowing the "correct" answer, I leave mine on all the time. While the monitor is always "on", the screen saver automatically disables the signal leaving the monitor blank.

It just occurred to me, when looking for a Ben-Q for imaging, I would make sure that it's a graphics quality monitor. (They make multiple types.) To tell, review the specifications to see if they include 12-bit lookup table, have a bit-depth of 10 (or greater?), and have a color gamut of 99% Adobe '98. (Or, at least 95%+ Adobe '98.)

Raymond,

As long as my computer is on (which is most of the time) I do the same as Neil. I simply have the monitor go to sleep when not in use.

-Joshua

Thank you gentlemen.

It's always nice to receive a compliment re: asking a question- "that's a good question". As a former teacher, I myself have always thought asking questions was a smart thing, and that there is no question which is dumb---something about Socrates/Aristotle

If I may, I perhaps have further questions re: this Benq monitor.

From Colorado--in the high country--Thank you

Always available.