Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Mount View Camera Lenses to Lensboards

Re: How to Mount View Camera Lenses to Lensboards

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Alan, I really owe you an apology. Reviewing this thread: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...r-and-adapters it looks like i'm the one who is responsible for your ordering the wrong flange. I'm very sorry for the cost and inconvenience that resulted.

From experience I know that Goerz modified the rear of the No. 1 Compur in order to fit some of their lenses resulting in needing a larger than standard mounting flange. It never occurred to me that they might also do this with the somewhat larger No. 3 Acme in order to fit some lenses.

To be sure I understand you, you ultimately talked to someone at SK Grimes and found out that in fact your shutter takes a 2 1/8" - 25 TPI flange, is that correct?

David
    David, yes correct. No problem, my own fault for not calling, which is my lesson learned to share. I did not have a working caliper when I originally asked for correct size, or a way to measure the threads. After I got the wrong flange, I measured the threads to be 2.11 diameter (have a working caliper now), and very close to a #10-24 machine screw pitch. I called the nameless vendor the next day, and they recommended the correct size. I do not have it yet, but pretty confident it will work. It will be a few days before they receive my returned wrong flange and send me the right one. Thanks for your help. I do not blame you for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Townsend View Post
    David, yes correct. No problem, my own fault for not calling, which is my lesson learned to share. I did not have a working caliper when I originally asked for correct size, or a way to measure the threads. After I got the wrong flange, I measured the threads to be 2.11 diameter (have a working caliper now), and very close to a #10-24 machine screw pitch. I called the nameless vendor the next day, and they recommended the correct size. I do not have it yet, but pretty confident it will work. It will be a few days before they receive my returned wrong flange and send me the right one. Thanks for your help. I do not blame you for anything.
    And thank you for making me aware that Goerz modified other shutters in addition to the No. 1 Compur (and Copal) when mounting their lenses. I'm adding a note to this effect to the "All things Goerz" folder on my computer.

And being old school, a print-out of the note will go into the physical folder holding my collection of C.P. Goerz American Optical Co./Goerz OpticalCo., Inc. ephemera.

David

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    It can be a frustrating experience, unfortunately.

But here's one exception to your advise -- from my website. So this is advise from a member of this forum AND a website.

If you have a Fujinon lens, here's the Fuji Owner's Manual in PDF format showing how to attach Fujinon lenses to lens boards. The info is applicable to many other lenses as well.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/lensmanual.pdf
    Regarding Fujinon lenses: the Seiko 1 shutter used for older single-coated lenses needs a larger hole than a Copal 1 shutter.

OP, this discussion's title is seriously misleading. Please change it. Something like "Rant about buying the wrong flange" would be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I make many WOOD lensboards, some OE metal are enlarged

if I need a new lens board

i buy a new round hole saw to size

I have a table top drill press

i set up very carefully with scrap under saw

and CLAMP TIGHTLY with big cast iron C clamps
    I made my lens boards from two laminated pieces of 1/8 in. mdf, the outer 4x4 in., the inner 3.5x3.5 to fit Calumet and my DIY 4x5. I use spade bits on drill press for smaller lenses, but a coping saw to rough out for the Dagor, a piece of 1.5 in. diameter PVC with sandpaper wrapped around to enlarge and finish to size. I think a hole saw would be too brutal for such small lens boards with somewhat brittle material. I really hate using a coping saw due to arthritis.

Thanks for input,

Alan Townsend

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    Regarding Fujinon lenses: the Seiko 1 shutter used for older single-coated lenses needs a larger hole than a Copal 1 shutter.
    What you're saying about the Seiko #1 shutter may well be true, but as far as I know, Fujinon never supplied any of their lenses with any Seiko shutter other than the #0. Do you know differently?

BTW, the Seiko #0 and Copal #0 have the same rear attaching thread of 32.5mm.

I received a flange today, and it fits my lens, so I am happy. More confusing however, is that on the invoice it says it is a "flange - Goerz 2 1/2 in. 1.0 pitch". It has 3 mounting holes instead of the normal 4. It is a metric 1.0 pitch (25 tpi) but not close to 2 1/2-inch diameter.

I will repeat one more time, to mount a lens, call the dealer for the proper flange or retainer. There is not a one to one for mounting flanges based on the shutter used, as is implied on most websites.

Thanks for the comments,

Alan Townsend

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Townsend View Post
    I received a flange today, and it fits my lens, so I am happy. More confusing however, is that on the invoice it says it is a "flange - Goerz 2 1/2 in. 1.0 pitch". It has 3 mounting holes instead of the normal 4. It is a metric 1.0 pitch (25 tpi) but not close to 2 1/2-inch diameter.

I will repeat one more time, to mount a lens, call the dealer for the proper flange or retainer. There is not a one to one for mounting flanges based on the shutter used, as is implied on most websites.

Thanks for the comments,

Alan Townsend
    Thank you very much for letting us know the final outcome.

Wonder if someone mis-spoke on the invoice.

David

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    What you're saying about the Seiko #1 shutter may well be true, but as far as I know, Fujinon never supplied any of their lenses with any Seiko shutter other than the #0. Do you know differently?
    Yes I know differently. The 180mm and 210mm are mine, the 250mm is from an eBay listing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8183.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	243386

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	243387

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

A good result… congratulations!

So we know 2 facts: both Goerz and Kodak modified “standard” shutters to proprietary dimensions. Is this unique to Rochester USA or did any other lens manufacturers do similar?