Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SOLAR Eclipse LF PINHOLE Advice

Re: SOLAR Eclipse LF PINHOLE Advice

Cool!
    Tin Can

I made a quick pinhole just to hold and shine on a piece of paper to keep track of the partial eclipse here in Northwestern CA. Actually had a decent image with the sun shining thru clouds...mental photographs, so to speak/think.

I have a fun negative (never printed) from the Rolleiflex taken a dozen or so years ago during another partial we had here. The shadow of the apple tree on the house was filled with images of the partial eclipse, little crescent suns -- the overlapping leaves themselves forming pinholes and casting images on the house. I photographed that.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I have a book full incidental Pinhole

Many ways
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Never got the opportunity. Thick fog all morning; but there was a distinct further cooling down at the time of the eclipse. What I do is just grab the full stack of Tiffen color separation filters : 29 red, 61 green, and 47B blue - totally black except when the sun is being directly viewed.

It was sunny in Tucson, what a surprise. Got a look at the partial eclipse through someone's eclipse glasses, while at a plant sale with my wife. It's always impressive, if not as spectacular as the 2017 one (when we experienced totality in Washington DC).
    83% totality today provided about a 2.5 stop decrease in sunlight, measured with my incident meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I made a quick pinhole just to hold and shine on a piece of paper to keep track of the partial eclipse here in Northwestern CA. Actually had a decent image with the sun shining thru clouds...mental photographs, so to speak/think.

I have a fun negative (never printed) from the Rolleiflex taken a dozen or so years ago during another partial we had here. The shadow of the apple tree on the house was filled with images of the partial eclipse, little crescent suns -- the overlapping leaves themselves forming pinholes and casting images on the house. I photographed that.
    I noticed that for the first time today! There were crescents all over the side of my house from tree pinholes, much better than the pinhole I made. It was about 75% here.

as a solar filter, i use the media of an old 5.25 floppy disk. ive got milk boxes full of them from the old DOS days.

and i cant see my digital photos on tthem!

you can put it on your camera, binoculars, or as a viewer.

Sorry, I didn't see this in time. The disk of the sun is about half a degree diameter, so about 1/110 radian. This means that to get any appreciable extended image of the sun, you need a very long "focal length" pinhole camera. For the annular eclipse in 2012, I made a 6+ foot long pinhole viewer out of a cardboard box used for skis, with the pinhole at one end, a piece of white paper at the bottom as a projection screen, and the bottom partly cut away so people could look in and see the image projected on the paper. Even with this long box, the projected image is about 6feet/110 ~ 17 mm diameter, big enough to see the shape but not very large.

For a partial eclipse, I think one of the most interesting things is the crescent shapes in the shadows formed by momentary pinholes, as others have mentioned. For example in the shadows of tree leaves. You can also get a pretty good set of crescents with a metal colander.

Thank youľf
    Tin Can