Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expired TMAX 100 getting light pink negative no image

Re: Expired TMAX 100 getting light pink negative no image

Quote Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
    What size film are we talking about here? To my knowledge, sheet film doesn't have edge rebate lettering, at least the Tmax 100 that I have used in the distant past and you do state that you exposed 3 negatives. It does look like dead developer which to me is odd since I've used 5 year old Pyro HD in glycol with excellent results.
    Every sheet of TMX I have exposed has had edge markings, thousands of them. It's one of the things I like about it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Every sheet of TMX I have exposed has had edge markings, thousands of them. It's one of the things I like about it.
    I just looked at my Tmax 4x5 negs from 2001---no edge markings--- there are notch codes, which most sheet films have, but no lettering of any kind. Can you show a sample of your sheet negs with the factory lettering on the edge. This would be a big advantage since I don't always have the notch code list handy. The OP hasn't yet stated if his film is sheet or roll.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
    I just looked at my Tmax 4x5 negs from 2001---no edge markings--- there are notch codes, which most sheet films have, but no lettering of any kind. Can you show a sample of your sheet negs with the factory lettering on the edge. This would be a big advantage since I don't always have the notch code list handy. The OP hasn't yet stated if his film is sheet or roll.
    4x5 sheets have “Kodak 100TMX” on the short edge where the notches are, but towards the other end.

4 x 5 developing in a job 2336 manually 1000ml solutionClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20231010_093824.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	243022

It has been 20 something years since I have bought Kodak sheet film, it is nice to see they have updated things. Does anyone know when they started doing the edge imprinting?

If there is no Tmax identifier in the margin of the film, you either fixed the film before developing it, or the developer was dead.

Minesix66 - are your "blank" films the only ones that you've processed in this particular batch of Pyrocat? You may want to process another couple of sheets in the same batch of Pyrocat - and be very deliberate in your process so your further results can be truly objective.

...and I seriously doubt the fact that your TMX film is moderately post-dated is the issue here. I happen to have a few sheets of 11x14 Tri-X (arguably less stable than TMX)...dated June of 1988 - which has been through several moves, with long stretches of having been stored in very warm attic environments. While this film has certainly seen better days - I am still getting useable results from it:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deer skull.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	243023

Developed with HC110 very old maybe 8 years at least DIL H Invert for first 5 secs then 5 inversions very 30 sec temp @ 68.2, I now have a visible negative, I used Kodak stop bath then TF-5 for 6 mins 5 inversions every minute. Then TF-5 is starting to have a light purple color to it.

That's good news.
    The TF-5 turning purple is the anti-halation dye coming out of the film- it won't affect anything. As I posted above, an after-bath in a 1% Kodalk (Balanced Alkali or sodium metaborate) solution will take all that pink out.