Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikor 4x5 Tank developing issue

Re: Nikor 4x5 Tank developing issue

A simple rubber band will replace the original stainless one.
    But as i posted in another thread, these tanks are difficult to master. One thing that helped me was to have a dozen scrap negatives around, to practice loading the reel with. Of course practice in room light, to check the reel alignment and to see where you go wrong loading it.
    I used to practice that way before every real film run. And for insurance, split up the day's film into two batches and process one half of them at a time.
    Like Tin Can, I had better luck with 3-1/4"x4-1/4" film than 4x5. But I was able to build a darkroom and go back to processing in trays; a method with its own disadvantages, but ones I have long experience with.

I didn't know it needed a band to hold them in place. I have practiced carefully loading the scrap films and the alignment was correct. I just cant see how the marks were made or how it could be avoided in future.

I think i should probably just move to some kind of tank and dipping system. I lost 5 rolls of 35mm in my JOBO ATL 1500 on a freak that it didnt pump the developer properly.

Anyone want to buy an ATL and a Nikkor tank?

We don't sell on open Forum

Use FS thread

I process 4 up 4X5 KODAK only, film or plate Hangers

I can dip and dunk 16 films at one go

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    I didn't know it needed a band to hold them in place. I have practiced carefully loading the scrap films and the alignment was correct. I just cant see how the marks were made or how it could be avoided in future.

I think i should probably just move to some kind of tank and dipping system. I lost 5 rolls of 35mm in my JOBO ATL 1500 on a freak that it didnt pump the developer properly.

Anyone want to buy an ATL and a Nikkor tank?
    Tin Can

Do you do that manually or do you always use your gas burst system?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    We don't sell on open Forum

Use FS thread

I process 4 up 4X5 KODAK only, film or plate Hangers

I can dip and dunk 16 films at one go

Always gas

and I do it in daylight after loading

then water stop, covered, no agitation

tank 3 is TF5

lastly 70F filtered water

The 3 bubbler tanks are in a 70F flowing big tank

all SS

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Do you do that manually or do you always use your gas burst system?
    Tin Can

That’s interesting - I didn’t realize your tank setup was daylight. Even better.

Always gas

tank 3 is TF5

all SS

So sorry for your loss.

It’s not agitation related.

Your “dead spots” are absolutely related to there not being a restraining strip/rubber band in place.

Without the restraining stainless steel strip, or a rubber band, the negatives will release from their original position, flatten out some, and come in contact with , and rest against, the internal spiral guide that’s in front of the emulsion. Resting firmly against the spiral, the emulsion does not receive any exposure to the processing chemistry. Hence, the dead spot…

If you don’t have a stainless steel strip, be careful with how tight you use a rubber band. You don’t want to make it so tight that you make the film bow further, and then it comes in contact with a spiral behind it. Like Goldilocks said, “just right“…

Don’t give up…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I bought the tank from a reputable seller, you would have expected him to know this was missing. I thought that the sides of the tank were meant to hold them in positon. Ill try it one more time on some test films. Just such a shame to loose those. I have been under a lot of pressure lately. mixed up the graflock backs and thought i was developing differnt images for a "test run". Heart breaking but ill keep trying.

Regards

Ronan

Always gas

tank 3 is TF5

all SS
    what kind of tank system do you use? I would like to buy a new processor and invest in something that has no automation and can do a cage of reels and sheets at different times.

Enough of these auto machines ive lost too much to errors now.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by popdoc View Post
    so sorry for your loss.

It’s not agitation related.

Your “dead spots” are absolutely related to there not being a restraining strip/rubber band in place.

Without the restraining stainless steel strip, or a rubber band, the negatives will release from their original position, flatten out some, and come in contact with , and rest against, the internal spiral guide that’s in front of the emulsion. Resting firmly against the spiral, the emulsion does not receive any exposure to the processing chemistry. Hence, the dead spot…

if you don’t have a stainless steel strip, be careful with how tight you use a rubber band. You don’t want to make it so tight that you make the film bow further, and then it comes in contact with a spiral behind it. Like goldilocks said, “just right“…

don’t give up…

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
    thank you!