Thread: Epson P600 prints dark

Epson P600 prints dark

Have an Epson P600 that does a nice job. Problem is that it prints too dark much of the time.

Calibrated system but the prints are too dark.

I lighten them on the screen after seeing the print come out much darker than I like and have the settings "right".

Still too dark and at times no change in the print, even after making the file much lighter on screen.

Same problem with either Printer or Photoshop manages colors.

Same problem with either B&W and Color, though it seems to be more with B&W - Advanced B&W than color.

Right now using glossy paper but happens with matte as well.

All factory inks and good alignment, no skips in the printed nozzle check.

Just prints too dark.

What am I missing?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Re: Epson P600 prints dark

Is the monitor calibrated? I worked once with a designer who had her monitor brightened up way too much since the room's ambient lighting was way too bright to begin with. She had calibrated her monitor, but then someone else turned up the monitor's brightness but never told her. I can recommend datacolor's SpyderX Pro.

My experience with Epson printers is the driver in MacOSX. Every OS update throws the Epson driver away. You have more control with the Epson driver than the MaxOS driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Have an Epson P600 that does a nice job. Problem is that it prints too dark much of the time.

Calibrated system but the prints are too dark.

I lighten them on the screen after seeing the print come out much darker than I like and have the settings "right".

Still too dark and at times no change in the print, even after making the file much lighter on screen.

Same problem with either Printer or Photoshop manages colors.

Same problem with either B&W and Color, though it seems to be more with B&W - Advanced B&W than color.

Right now using glossy paper but happens with matte as well.

All factory inks and good alignment, no skips in the printed nozzle check.

Just prints too dark.

What am I missing?
    Willy check your Monitor brightness level.. most computers are set at Max Brightness for printing our shop is set at 50-60% brightness when editing.... its in the settings

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    My experience with Epson printers is the driver in MacOSX. Every OS update throws the Epson driver away. You have more control with the Epson driver than the MaxOS driver.
    Really! I had this problem, and it drove me crazy. (Not that it's that much of a drive. ) Your's is the first explanation of this problem that actually makes sense.

How can one enforce using the Epson driver? If I understand correctly, is it a matter or reinstalling the Epson driver? Or, is there more to it?

Yes, monitor is calibrated.
    Problem is that after a first print showing too dark I can lighten the image a full stop or more and do another print - comes out the same of very little difference. Nowhere near the difference on the monitor.

IBM desktop type machines, not Apple.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Hmm. Yeah, mine was an Apple, and I think I notice the problem after an upgrade.

But still, it does lead one to wonder if indeed, the Epson driver is the one being used?

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Really! I had this problem, and it drove me crazy. (Not that it's that much of a drive. ) Your's is the first explanation of this problem that actually makes sense.

How can one enforce using the Epson driver? If I understand correctly, is it a matter or reinstalling the Epson driver? Or, is there more to it?
    Yes, just reinstall. Download it from the Epson website. You can see the differences between the two drivers. Apple is always Wifi at the end.