Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tripod heads

Re: Tripod heads

I love this one: Levelling Pan/Tilt Head, https://linhof.com/en/levelling-pan-tilt-head/

But this is the one I take out in the field: Gitzo G1570M, https://www.gitzo.com/global/low-pro...ries-5-g1570m/ because the other is to heavy.

The Gitzo Rationelle No. 3 should actually be very good for screwing the Linhof Technika onto. The Technika doesn't weigh much. The point is to let the camera swing out before you release.

The Technika has two connections. You should take the connection on the flap. Then the weight is distributed in a balanced way. The port on the body is for extreme wide angle images.

I once had a Gitzo clamp screwed onto the Gitzo head. But the cork or rubber of such heads does not hold the clamp tight and secure. Everything swings. Therefore, I do not use such QR Clamps with my Gitzo heads and like to use the original screws from Gitzo, without Clamps.

I sometimes drill a second small hole for a locking pin to prevent swinging - it only needs to be a couple of mm deep. Of course it depends on what exactly you want to mount on what whether it's possible or not.

Drilling a second hole in the base plate or a clamp and cutting a thread in it is a very good idea. Especially as this works well with Gitze plates and clamps. I will try that.

I think the best mounting plates are the ones on my Mamiya cameras - they have pins and mating holes in the camera base. No twisting

I also use a relatively cheap Libec (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...um_Tripod.html)
    that I got from B&H. I think this is the equivalent of the one I got. I have my 8 x10 Kardan Bi on it at the moment. Very stable and rated to 77 pounds. I have the 75mm levelling ball and mid and floor level spreaders.

I switched to a Manfrotto 410 many years ago and never looked back. The heaviest load I've put on it is various Chamonix 4x5 models with a Nikkor 90mm f/4.5, but I'm sure it'd handle your Linhof just fine. Hejnar Photo makes a nice Arca clamp conversion for this head which also shifts the clamp itself to be directly over the center column but if you're happy with the stock Manfrotto QR plates then it isn't a necessity. I have it installed on mine and like it quite a bit.

I gave up on the Manfrotto plates a long time ago and switched over to Arca Swiss type plates. Partly because that's what the Mamiya plates are so I can be standard across all the cameras. Hate to admit it but lately I find myself spending less time using cameras and more time just playing with them. Partly I guess just because I passed 80 and partly because I now drive a power wheelchair full time after a nasty fall, so it's harder to actually get out and do photography.