Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod heads

Re: Tripod heads

If you can get your tripod fairly level, there is a relatively new option of a leveling base. The RRS TA-3 can support 25 lbs and tilts 30 degrees in all directions. It will not give you a 90-degree tilt, but my 4x5 can switch orientation and I have an L bracket for some of my MF cameras.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview

Unfortunately, it only works with an RSS tripod like the RRS TVC-33 but I imagine there are other alternatives from other manufacturers that are cheaper.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._series_3.html

If I want a more solid tripod, I have a Davis and Sanford A series, which is where the Gitzo Rationale 5 head goes, good for a studio but not good for carrying around. The Gitzo Explorer is good with the Technika, the Rationale 3 head is a little light but I tightened it up and it is acceptable. I am leaning towards a Rationale 4 with a small plate or the Manfrotto 410.

Drew Wiley

As usual, by far the most stable, lightest weight, and least expensive kind of head is no head at all. I stopped using tripod heads for view cameras decades ago, and never looked back.

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    As usual, by far the most stable, lightest weight, and least expensive kind of head is no head at all. I stopped using tripod heads for view cameras decades ago, and never looked back.
    Drew, These days every time I look at one of my tripods without a head I think of you!

I have tried using no head in the past using a field camera (not monorail) to do architectural photography in urban areas and just don't have the patience to set up that way. Maybe if I had a four legged quadrapod?!

Drew did convince me to go Bare Headless

Works great

spikes are also very good

but my Ries has both
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

The difference of time when making adjustments the headless method is negligible in terms of overall view camera workflow. For me, the difference might be mere seconds. I also go headless when big heavy MF tele lenses are involve; and it makes a crucial difference in stability and sharpness in that case. It's just a matter of practice, until it becomes spontaneous. My father learned to do it this way with surveying instruments back in the 1930's, when it was the only option; and they were expected to do it quickly and far more accurately than any kind of typical photographic application, and on any kind of terrain; and the instrument platform had to be dead level every single time. So if surveyors HAD to do it that way for decades, what's so impossible about it now, just aiming the camera this way or that?

Incidentally, the spikes on the tripod legs are for sake of dueling with anyone who shows up with a digital device with stitching in mind.

No stitching for 7 years

I count them

at least 200 l was awake for
    Tin Can

No stitching for 7 years

I count them

Tin Can

Leofoto has a new model called G20, just bought it 2 weeks ago. It is really stable and I can only recommend it. I use it with my 4x5 Tachihara

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    No stitching for 7 years

I count them

They used staples on me last time.