Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8 x 10.. Is the Fresnel on backwards?

Re: Intrepid 8 x 10.. Is the Fresnel on backwards?

I have the Intrepid 8x10 with the fresnel lens as well, and it behaves exactly as wallpaperviking describes. I have even used it with the 300mm Industar-37 lens, and yes - this is what you get. If the fresnel is mounted with the smooth side facing you, then it's mounted correctly.

Yeah, the fresnel Intrepid ships on the camera is really poor. It helps brighten the screen for general visualization and focusing, but otherwise just creates more obstacles. I still have it on the camera but have been thinking of removing it, cutting a 4x5 piece off it and carry it with me and use it on the glass just when I need to see brighter in certain spots. It's not really helpful otherwise. I don't recommend having it installed if you're getting the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Two thoughts:

1) As others have said, based on your pic it looks like the lens isn't fully covering the 8x10 format. I, too, would recommend seeing what it looks like without the fresnel.
    I guarantee you, the Industar-37 covers 8x10 with a bit to spare. I have the same lens and use it on my Intrepid 8x10 without issue. The effect the OP is demonstrating is entirely the result of that fresnel lens.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I guarantee you, the Industar-37 covers 8x10 with a bit to spare. I have the same lens and use it on my Intrepid 8x10 without issue. The effect the OP is demonstrating is entirely the result of that fresnel lens.
    I bow to your experience because I don't own any Industar lens. But, what I can say for sure is that on my Intrepid 8x10 Mark II w/fresnel and my Fuji 240A, Fuji 360A, and Fuji 450C lenses that I use on this camera I only see that kind of darkening effect when I move my head off-center. It is frustrating because I always like to check the edges and corners of my frame; hard (impossible?) to do with this fresnel. Since I only use this camera for longer distance hikes, I've left it installed; otherwise, I'd remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I bow to your experience because I don't own any Industar lens. But, what I can say for sure is that on my Intrepid 8x10 Mark II w/fresnel and my Fuji 240A, Fuji 360A, and Fuji 450C lenses that I use on this camera I only see that kind of darkening effect when I move my head off-center. It is frustrating because I always like to check the edges and corners of my frame; hard (impossible?) to do with this fresnel. Since I only use this camera for longer distance hikes, I've left it installed; otherwise, I'd remove it.
    Yep. My experience suggests that the fresnel only gets in the way, more than it helps. I'm going to remove mine today and see how it is to use with my f6.8 Gundlach Anastigmat - my most challenging lens in most conditions.

Thanks to everybody for their response, much appreciated!

Have reached out to Intrepid, so will see what they say. So far, their customer service has been excellent, so hopefully they have some insight into this issue.

I can definitely rule out the coverage issue, as I can see into the corners when I move my head around.. The "hotspot" just tends to move around.

I have attached another photo that has the Intrepid logo on the right hand side. Maybe somebody who owns one can confirm that this is where it sits. Camera is in portrait orientation. I feel like I can see the fresnel "grooves" which would indicate that the smooth side is not facing me.

Think I will just go and buy a little mini hex set and take it off and see what it looks like without..

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1945.jpg  

Just looking at it again, i think the Intrepid logo is etched into the GG...

So not relevant in determining the placement of the fresnel..

So, had a rummage around and was able to source a mini hex key. Have flipped the fresnel around and it seems it has been placed on backwards. Very hard to capture with my Iphone but there is definitely less of a "hotspot" and the overall image appears more evenly illuminated.

What do you guys think?

Thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-7976.jpg   IMG-7977.jpg  

These images definitely look better than the first photo in the original post but how much that is down to the re-positioned fresnel, I don't know?

It shouldn't be difficult to tell the two sides of the fresnel apart, just run your nail lightly over the surface. The scored, ribbled, textured side faces the lens.

Thanks again for the response, much appreciated!

So, based on your advice regarding the textured side of the fresnel, it was placed correctly. I have the smooth side facing me (and this is how it came). Which makes me very confused! As is, am not sure it can be used. It creates a very bright "hotspot" and this moves around as you move your head around. It is extremely distracting though and does not enable you to see the whole image as a whole, as any part of the image outside of the hotspot, largely turns to black.

My basic understanding of a fresnel, is that it is designed to spread the light better and eliminate the hotspot effect found on the GG. This almost does the opposite somehow. Yes, it is bright but the "hotspot" issue is worse.

Intrepid have already got back to me with regards to this but I will update them and see what they say.

Thanks!

Since you've got this far, and for the sake of completeness, how about a comparable pic showing the scene on the ground glass 'sans' fresnel?

As several of us have stated, the Intrepid fresnel introduces at least as many problems as it solves. It's pretty useless.