Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Start

A New Start

Hello all.

I have been an off again, on again member of this forum for several years. In that time I have dabbled around the edges of large format, mostly buying things without ever really getting serious about learning how to use it.

About a year ago I realized that I had really become a collector, and not really a very good one either.

I knew this was not what I had started out to accomplish when I started out with my first camera over 40 years ago. I also realized that I seemed happiest when I was out in the mountains with my large format camera. But I'm starting late in life and feel as if I'm running out of time.

To make a very involved story much, much shorter, I am getting rid of the great majority of my small format equipment and keeping very little. I have a small project that I'll be finishing off this winter and then I'll be focusing all my attention on learning large format photography. This winter I'll be reading a lot. Thanks to suggestions from some friends at Photrio.com, I have started with the three books in Ansel Adam's Photography Series, and there are a few other books waiting in the wings. They also suggested that I join this forum and start taking advantage of all the terrific resources on this site.

I am actually looking forward to this and am excited. I know I have a huge amount to learn. If nothing else my past brief forays into large format have certainly made that abundantly clear.

I guess that this is as much a warning as anything else. Be prepared for lots of dumb questions and requests for advice in the upcoming months, particularly in critiquing my efforts as I start to move forward. I am retired but I am certainly not rich so most of my learning will have to be from my books and my practice right here in my own backyard. From theory to negative to prints if you will.

I do have equipment, buying stuff is easy, but owning it is not the same as knowing how to use it. I certainly don't need anything else right now. I will be starting with 4x5, probably my Cambo because I have more supplies in that format. My long term goal is to work up to 8x10, but the learning has to come first.

Anyway, wish me luck...and sometimes you may want to duck. I have been known to get pissed and start throwing things once in a while when something doesn't work out the way I thought it should.
    Last edited by AuditorOne; 28-Sep-2023 at 11:05. Reason: typo
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Re: A New Start

Welcome!
    The general (and specific) info provided via the home page is great. The search function in minimal, but there are ways around it.
    The Cambo will be great -- one can bend it all out of shape playing with the movements, then back up and start again.
    Interestingly enough, I found the 4x5 to 5x7 jump to be quite easy. Going up to 8x10 took more re-adjustment of my work practices. Then's there 11x14
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Good for you recognizing what you were doing and not doing. Too many people collect and/or watch YouTube videos thinking they are doing photography. Go out take pictures and come back and make prints.
    In the words of Yoda "There is no trying, only doing" Just Do It

luck
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wellman View Post
    Good for you recognizing what you were doing and not doing. Too many people collect and/or watch YouTube videos thinking they are doing photography. Go out take pictures and come back and make prints.
    In the words of Yoda "There is no trying, only doing" Just Do It
    Thanks. I wish I could take credit but it was really my wife and grandson who pushed me to see it. They are both very grounded and sensible. I just had to realize that they were really trying to help. I'm lucky to have them.

What is really scary about that entire buying trap is the amount of time I wasted thinking I was making progress. It sounds silly to even say it now, but at the time buying that next lens was very important.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Welcome!
    The general (and specific) info provided via the home page is great. The search function in minimal, but there are ways around it.
    The Cambo will be great -- one can bend it all out of shape playing with the movements, then back up and start again.
    Interestingly enough, I found the 4x5 to 5x7 jump to be quite easy. Going up to 8x10 took more re-adjustment of my work practices. Then's there 11x14
    Thanks Vaughn. I am looking forward to working with all of you.

I also believe that old Cambo will be exactly what I need for the immediate and foreseeable future. I found the 150mm Apo-Symmar that used to be on it. I like that Angulon 90 but I have decided I am better working with a normal lens in the beginning. Now all I have to do is clean it up a bit. I suspect a q-tip, some distilled water and a bit of elbow grease will get the job done.

Dan

Welcome to the CLUB -- AND the FORUM.

You are not alone. You will find many others here -- younger and older -- that are in the same boat/predicament/conundrum.

There is no easy answer. We each find our own way -- despite others arguing about it.

I've spent -- not enough -- time around Elko & Mt Wheeler & the Jarbidge area & the Ruby Range with my 4x5, and you have no shortage of material to work with. That's for sure.

GET OUT THERE!!!! I expect you to pick up where I left off!!! How far are you from Mt Moriah? -- GREAT Bristlecone Pines!!!!
    Last edited by xkaes; 29-Sep-2023 at 06:38.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Welcome to the CLUB -- AND the FORUM.

You are not alone. You will find many others here -- younger and older -- that are in the same boat/predicament/conundrum.

There is no easy answer. We each find our own way -- despite others arguing about it.

I've spent -- not enough -- time around Elko & Mt Wheeler & the Jarbidge area & the Ruby Range with my 4x5, and you have no shortage of material to work with. That's for sure.

GET OUT THERE!!!! I except you to pick up where I left off!!! How far are you from Mt Moriah? -- GREAT Bristlecone Pines!!!!
    Wow! Great idea and I haven't been down there is a long time. It is about 4 1/2 hours away from me.

I've been waiting for a bit of snow to fall in Lamoille Canyon but a trip down to Mt Moriah is also a terrific way to spend a weekend.

Dan

One suggestion I’ll make is to not overcomplicate it. You mentioned you had a huge amount of learning to do but there really isn’t that much. Some basic stuff and you’re off and running, and the rest is simply doing/practice. Some people make it needlessly complicated (or try to) and don’t do much of anything. My two cents - don’t get caught up in that.

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    Wow! Great idea and I haven't been down there is a long time. It is about 4 1/2 hours away from me.
    I sometimes forget how BIG Nevada is. Please forgive me, as I come from the puny State of Colorado -- and I always get Elko & Ely conflused.