Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique in the image-sharing subforums

Re: Critique in the image-sharing subforums

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I think some may be trying to read too much into our guideline. Just don't go around telling posters what you think is wrong with their pictures unless they ask for a critique. That's all.

Also: we will not implement any system that involves rating and/or ranking Forum members' pictures, directly or indirectly.
    If you don't want any negative comments posted than you shouldn't allow any positive comments. See my last post.

Alan, do you critique your wife's housework...offer unasked-for helpful advice on how to improve her work?

If you do, she deserves a medal.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Not a positive statement because you are expressing a negative opinion...not facts.

Perhaps something like this would be a great improvement, "I like the way that dark area allows one's eyes to stay on the figure. Was it intentional?"

Edit to add: I had an interesting introduction to this forum. I offered up my first image and it immediately was cropped by other members 20 ways to paradise. No improvements (my biased opinion), but a challenging way to be introduced to the forum. But I learned photography in a university setting where critiques are the norm, participated and assisted at workshops where my work was critiqued by knowledgeable and talented people, and have approached galleries for shows. Many of these were not 'fun', none were harmful, most were helpful...some surprisingly so years later. So I do not mind being critiqued -- but be ready to have your critique critiqued. It is a two-way exchange...be ready to defend your opinions with quite a bit more than "It does not look good to me."
    Vaughn, I understand you're trying to be kind to the photographer. I don't disagree with you that we shouldn't be harsh, as we're all friends or at least fellow photographers. But not everyone has the tack to be so eloquent as you. Honest and forthright comments, yes even negative ones, have to be allowed if you allow positive comments. Otherwise, we become a mutual admiration society where we all just tap each other on the back telling each other how great we all are. That's dishonesty and a waste of time. Either ban all comments or open it up for everyone's comments good and bad. Reminder that the title of the threads are Images and Comments. Then change the title to Images (no comments).

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Alan, do you critique your wife's housework...offer unasked-for helpful advice on how to improve her work?

If you do, she deserves a medal.
    She deserves three medals.

Why not set up two threads, one called Images (no comments) and the other Images, Comments and Discussion welcomed. Then the contributor can decide how they want it handled.

NO

This forum is complicated enough
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Not everyone that posts an image is seeking a critique.
    Sometimes, they post to share where they went, a technique, lens, etc.
    Please do not critique my work or you will take the fun out of it for me!
    Indeed, the last weeks I go out with a friend that does not takes photo’s but I do. We have fun, and i’m not alone.
    And if there is an image that I like, I post it here. Most of the time there is only a memory of having a good time behind the image. And sometimes it’s also a great composition ( I hope)
    Also don’t ask me why my image is to light/dark/blurry or that composition, it may be my state of mind at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    If you don't want any negative comments posted than you shouldn't allow any positive comments.
    *Unsolicited* negative comments.

Honest and forthright comments, yes even negative ones, have to be allowed if you allow positive comments. Otherwise, we become a mutual admiration society where we all just tap each other on the back telling each other how great we all are. That's dishonesty and a waste of time. Either ban all comments or open it up for everyone's comments good and bad. Reminder that the title of the threads are Images and Comments. Then change the title to Images (no comments).
    We don't "have to" allow anything. We set our rules according to our best judgment of what will most effectively further our purpose. If we wanted to run a venue for no-holds-barred critical discussion of participants' work, we would announce that and specify guidelines accordingly. We have chosen not to do so.

So once again: if a member hasn't requested critique, then it doesn't matter how strongly you feel that they got something wrong. Please be considerate, bite your tongue and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Not everyone that posts an image is seeking a critique.
    Sometimes, they post to share where they went, a technique, lens, etc.
    Please do not critique my work or you will take the fun out of it for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Indeed, the last weeks I go out with a friend that does not takes photo’s but I do. We have fun, and i’m not alone.
    And if there is an image that I like, I post it here. Most of the time there is only a memory of having a good time behind the image. And sometimes it’s also a great composition ( I hope)
    Also don’t ask me why my image is to light/dark/blurry or that composition, it may be my state of mind at that time.
    What darr and PatrickMarq said. There are valid purposes for sharing work other than seeking dissection and criticism. Please respect that.

She deserves three medals.
    Without a doubt!

Yes, being kind is important. Time and time again I have held back my opinion on images presented here that (in my opinion) have serious compositional flaws and/or technical issues...because the person did not ask for my input. And in many cases, their image/print met their or exceeded their goals and should be celebrated. Improvements will come with time and experience. My personal standards are quite high...for both the image and the print. Beside personal drive, having work in galleries requires that of me. But why should I place my standards on someone new to the art who is in the exploration mode, or someone with their own vision of what a good photograph is?

Having been involved with photographic education on the university level for 40 years, and teaching photography to grade-school kids up to seniors even older than me, negative comments about their work do not help them succeed and maintain their passion for photography. Instead, one congratulates them for getting where they are, find out where they want to go, and then help them to get there. When they get there, then they see they are just on a level spot and there is still a lot of climbing to do.

And that can not happen in a format such as this forum -- egos get involved, and the written word can't carry the required load that a face-to-face discussion can. There is often little effort to understand what the photographer is trying to achieve (and the photographer may have trouble articulating it) that comments given are often just advice on how to make the photo look more like the ones the commenters make...instead of moving the photographer's vision forward.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China