Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beseler 45V-XL 3 Lens Turret Wobble - Anyone Have Experience Fixing?

Beseler 45V-XL 3 Lens Turret Wobble - Anyone Have Experience Fixing?

Hi Everyone,
    I'm having a devil of a time getting uniform sharpness w/ my 45V-XL across the print (as measured by a 10x grain magnifier; final prints look good, but maybe not to the grain-of-silver level they could.).

Problem Statement 1
    As one can see by the images & videos in this folder (some pics in HEIC format), the 3 Lens Turret has a noticeable "sag" or "wobble" as it rests in the carriage(?) of the lens stage of the 45V-XL. As in, maybe 1/16" or close to an 1/8". This concerns me as I focus at f/5.6, and then touch the lens to stop down to f/11 or f/16 (typical printing apertures). I can see grain sharper at one end of the paper than at the other (w/ the grain magnifier).

Problem Statement 2
    The hardward on this rig (which I bought used, and was stored in the prior owner's attic), is corroded, included the 2 front screws in the lens stage alignment area. This means I can't adjust the lens stage the way I think I should.

What I've Tried / Current Working Band-Aid
    • - Stopping down
      - Paper "shim" between the lens turret's board and the housing

Obviously, neither of the above are good working solutions, and the correded hardward concerns me (breaking tiny little screws on a pricey and heavy rig can make for a less-useful heavy rig).

Questions
    I'd rather not replace the entire unit, and am finally comfortable w/ the 45 Dichro-SL light source & color mixing for different contrast grades.

Is the fix to replace the turret? (This still doesn't solve the negative stage), or does anyone have ideas on how to work with / fix the turret (which appears to be the older version, judging by the lack of external set screws on the board)?

Or is there a way to retro-fit this sucker to take just a plain-old MX single lens board (which would be fine with me, but my lens boards won't fit w/ the turret rigging in place)?

I've searched the heck out of this and haven't found anything resembling an answer, so hoping the LFP community can assist...THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Brandon

Re: Beseler 45V-XL 3 Lens Turret Wobble - Anyone Have Experience Fixing?

Beseler is in business and they always do everything they can to help the couple times I've called. I'd start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Beseler is in business and they always do everything they can to help the couple times I've called. I'd start there.
    Thanks, Kevin.

Remove the turret

It was and is a bad product
    Tin Can

Jeffery Dale Welker

Nay. My Beseler 3 lens turret works like a champ and is precise when rotating from lens to lens. If Beseler can't answer your questions, try contacting SK Grimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    It was and is a bad product
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
    Nay. My Beseler 3 lens turret works like a champ and is precise when rotating from lens to lens. If Beseler can't answer your questions, try contacting SK Grimes.
    Same here!

Mine was converted before I bought

The famous one only used it with NIKON EL 240mm. it needed a custom threaded lens board

They both slide right in the standard lens board receptacle

1 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

I follow his lead
    Tin Can

Thank you, everyone, for good feedback & suggestions so far. Looks like I have an early model turret.

I've contacted Beseler (hooray for a USA company that makes analog gear AND picks up the phone) and started an email dialog with them.

I also have a job started on other things w/ SK Grimes & Adam Dau, so will keep that angle open...

Please keep any suggestions going - shimming the turret is a pretty rough stop gap, haha. .

Tin Can, Great minds think alike. Talking Rodagons, I found the 240 to be my most-used enlarging lens, but some printers just have to have the 300. The 300 will mount right up to the same flange if it is ever needed. I did not like the Beseler turret and scrapped it.

I thought about adding a turret, but had no parts

The cost is too high for me, as it would need rare parts

My XL has a DIY 8X10 conversion made of DIY stacked wood boxes for bigger prints

I got the XL from a famous Detroit artist and writer
    Tin Can