Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making a photo look and feel like an oil painting - possible?

Re: Making a photo look and feel like an oil painting - possible?

While I must admit that I side with Pieter with this, if this is an actual personal art project, go for it and take it as far as it goes. In which case I suggest the inkjet prints be made on canvas.

I have always liked Holly Roberts' approach. https://hollyrobertsstudio.com/
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

NOT ART

Resurrection

Les Misérables

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Please don't.
    Tin Can

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Please don't.
    why ? they look like fauvist / expressionist images, nothing wrong with that. not really 1840-1850 though...

are we only emulators

i daresay EVERY image is different

even machine gun Digi

TIME

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    why ? they look like fauvist / expressionist images, nothing wrong with that. not really 1840-1850 though...
    Tin Can

Have you seen the work of Kate Breakey? Her first book "Small Deaths" is beautiful, as is all of her work. It very much has the look I think you are looking for. Check her out http://www.katebreakey.com/ixtnz8eb8...5hv25fk9d096ko

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    are we only emulators

i daresay EVERY image is different

even machine gun Digi

TIME
    I don't understand why you quoted me and what your statements have to do with my question
    (my question was why the OP shouldn't look at what another person who painted his photographic prints did. they look like Fauvist / German Expressionist images / 1870s not 1850s. )
    Last edited by jnantz; 21-Sep-2023 at 15:57.

kasperbergholt, the studio's artist used oil paints. She had been doing that work for decades, based on the look of her workspace (a corner with a large high window). It was a very traditional studio, and a method in use for many decades. I'm sure that oil-painted photo portraits were a common product for portrait studios both in Europe and America for a long time... and may still be in some high-end studios. No doubt such paintings were expensive... and lucrative too.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    you can paint on your images using encaustic paints too. it is a mixture of paint and wax that is brushed on.
    it might be a trouble free solution that can be done right onto your pigment print without the hassle of learning
    how to do liquid emulsion, or a 19th century process. ( its not hard and lots of info on you tube )
    I think the starn twins are doing their encaustic work onto of pigment / modern prints but I'm not exactly sure...

Do you know the work of Emil Schildt? He is a photographer from Denmark who used liquid emulsion, made cyanotypes,
    did gumoils, bromoils and other things. His work had a painterly quality to it that you might find interesting. The Bromoil process converts a photographic print
    into a "matrix" whose surface is "worked" and inks are brushed onto. It is not a digital process ( you can't do this with a glicée print ).
    Gene Laughter was a Master of this type of image making https://www.alternativephotography.c...ter-1932-2017/
    I am not sure how rare his videos are but they might be worth looking into. Emil is still around, I am not sure if he is still making them
    he used liquid emulsion, so he did not have the problem of hunting around for "the right paper" (not super coated) because he pretty much made his own photo paper with liquid emulsion.

his books sometimes have instructions on how you can do these things on your own (not the encaustic painting but the other stuff ) .. they are available on BLURB.
    ( I tried to post a link but it didn't let me just search blurb 's bookstore for Emil Schildt )
    Rarely have I gotten so many good inputs in one comment! Hadn't considered encaustic paints as an option - that would be easy to handle, as you suggest - and the surface should be treatble with oil-based varnishes of different kinds, I guess.

I hadn't heard about Emil Schildt till now, but I like his work and will read up on the techniques employed (which are also new to me - there's a lot of new information to process

Found this quote by him:

"I hadn't heard of I actually don’t consider myself a photographer, but more an image maker. The methods to achieve an image starts with the camera, but my goal is, to make images – not merely photographs."

I can relate to that.

On last thing - I came across a product called 'Crackling varnish' by Darwi. That's also an option to give a try to emulate an aged outer layer.

Thanks again!

Here's something I saw on artists doing encaustic on photographs: https://plumbottomgallery.com/collections/randy-lee

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by kasperbergholt View Post
    Rarely have I gotten so many good inputs in one comment! Hadn't considered encaustic paints as an option - that would be easy to handle, as you suggest - and the surface should be treatble with oil-based varnishes of different kinds, I guess.

I hadn't heard about Emil Schildt till now, but I like his work and will read up on the techniques employed (which are also new to me - there's a lot of new information to process
    Found this quote by him:
    "I hadn't heard of I actually don’t consider myself a photographer, but more an image maker. The methods to achieve an image starts with the camera, but my goal is, to make images – not merely photographs."
    I can relate to that.
    On last thing - I came across a product called 'Crackling varnish' by Darwi. That's also an option to give a try to emulate an aged outer layer.
    Thanks again!

pleasure's mine!

I hope you post your final result when it happens, I'd love to see what you end up doing.