Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 510 Pyro Question

510 Pyro Question

I am new to this developer. I have developed 3 sheets of 5x7 HP5 in it so far and two of them have what looks like some splotches on one of the edges. See the attached image right hand side. What would cause this with this developer? Or, what am I not doing right with it?

I developed them in a Stearman Press 810 tray the same way as I normally do. Agitate for the first minute, then 10 seconds per minute afterwards.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5x7_HP5_BissmanBldg.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	242397

Re: 510 Pyro Question

Were the two damaged sheets developed at the same time?

No, separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks as if there was insufficient developer in the tank, or something about the tank design was blocking adequate flow of developer across one side.

If I am remembering correctly, many people have reported uneven development issues using the Stearman processors, but I can't recall what the recommendations were to avoid these issues. What is your agitation technique? Stearman has very specific instructions for how to agitate using this equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    This looks as if there was insufficient developer in the tank, or something about the tank design was blocking adequate flow of developer across one side.

If I am remembering correctly, many people have reported uneven development issues using the Stearman processors, but I can't recall what the recommendations were to avoid these issues. What is your agitation technique? Stearman has very specific instructions for how to agitate using this equipment.
    My normal go to developer is HC-110 and I’ve done a dozen or so sheets with that in the Stearman 810 with no problems with it. I agitate using one of his suggested methods, 5 b, the “panning for gold” method. The first time I used the 510 Pyro, I processed 2 sheets of 5x7 in it and only 1 of them had the blotches on one edge, the other was fine. Today I did the single one shown here by itself. I thought since it is kind of thick I may not have mixed it up well the first time so I used my lab mixer this time and let it mix for several minutes to be sure it was mixed well.

I have no experience with Stearman tanks, but 510 Pyro is my go-to B&W developer.
    Looking at your image, it appears all edges have uneven areas of development, with the right-side sky area most noticeable, but all edges have it.
    Because I have never experienced this with 510, I'd agree with whoever says to look at your processing tank closer for uneven distribution of chemicals.
    Just my 2 cents.

Pyro 510 is the developer I use for large format. In my case, 8x10. With the 1+100 dilution, developing times are so short that a right agitation pattern is crucial. Any constant flow will leave a mark on the film. If some unevenness appears during the first seconds, it will probably remain there. I started using a Paterson Orbital processor, but I struggled to find the appropriate agitation technique. I end up using a Jobo Expert 3005 tank, which allows to develop 5 sheets at a time and gives perfectly even negatives. I roll the tank on a manual roller, with quite a vigourous presoaking.
    Best,
    Pau

Some pictures in Flickr.

I've used the SP-8x10 tray only for 4x5 and 8x10, but those marks look like they could be increased turbulence around the center lid tabs. Was that right edge along the center, perhaps?

Further to what Pau3 said: my default developer is PMK, and it is important to do a water presoak (before introducing the developer) with sheet films to get even development. I would suggest you do this with 510 also to see if that eliminates the flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Further to what Pau3 said: my default developer is PMK, and it is important to do a water presoak (before introducing the developer) with sheet films to get even development. I would suggest you do this with 510 also to see if that eliminates the flaws.
    Yes, I water presoaked as well. Do that with all my film.