Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is hand check film available at Rome airport (FCO) in Italy?

Is hand check film available at Rome airport (FCO) in Italy?

Did anyone fly out Rome airport (FCO) in Italy recently and know if the hand-check film is available? Thanks!

Re: Is hand check film available at Rome airport (FCO) in Italy?

When I was in Rome in 2022, I had no issue with having my 120 film hand checked. Same was true in Milan this past May. I imagine you will have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niels

This changes quickly at all airports at the moment. Some of those that refused hand checks before, now allows it because they have switched to CT or are in the process of doing so.

I would first check the policy for film/hand check on the airport homepage, and if no information, I would shoot them an easy to answer mail. I would probably inquire about the scanning technology as well if not mentioned on the homepage.

If no answer, I'd prepare for the worst.
    ----
    Niels

Thanks for your information and suggestions, which are very helpful!

I would not take a chance with hand checking sheet film personally. Just too much risk involved unless you have 35mm or roll film which they will hand check all day long. Quite simply the intensity of the security equipment X-ray continues to go up to where it will nuke your film to useless status in a country second. IMHO the only viable option is to Fed Ex the film in a lead shield bag and have one of the major film sellers send you some film to where you are staying (hopefully an Air BNB and not a hotel). Spreading out your risk a bit. Just my $0.02.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Did anyone fly out Rome airport (FCO) in Italy recently and know if the hand-check film is available? Thanks!
    The last time I went through European airports (not Rome or recent) but Heathrow, Frankfurt and Bale ) they refused to hand inspect any film and claimed the scanner didn't bother film unless it was high ISO (over ISO 800?).
    I exposed probably 40 rolls developed all of it after I returned and they were right ( the film was fine ), it was all 200 and 400 ISO, years before (in era of the Subway Bomber) I went through Heathrow and my film/carry-on was scanned probably every 50 feet so it was a lot of scans and no issues .. that all said, according to legendary Photographic Chemist Ron Mowrey there is more radiation at altitudes that planes fly (domestic and international) than any of those scanners zap, so it might not really matter.
    Last edited by jnantz; 27-Sep-2023 at 14:50.

Thank you all for your suggestions!
    Just passed through the terminal 1 at Rome airport/FCO. It does not do hand-checking film, but it has a film-safe machine to check film. See picture below. I have a box of FP 125 film, hope the film will be okay.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5524.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	242964

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions!
    Just passed through the terminal 1 at Rome airport/FCO. It does not do hand-checking film, but it has a film-safe machine to check film. See picture below. I have a box of FP 125 film, hope the film will be okay.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5524.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	242964
    I find it very interesting to see how much extrinsic risk is normalized in the world today. In this specific situation the reality is every airport ascribes to a unique protocol for security that can shift at the drop of a hat. People conveying that a scanning machine does not adversely affect sheet film (35mm and 120 are easily swabbed for chemicals and are not a part of the concern here) are reading from the sales literature of the company that sold the device because they have no clue. Yet other than a forum such as this one where experiences (both good and bad) are shared the net results do not register because the requests for special consideration for sheet film likely do not register on the complaint list so in the words of Alfred E Newman "What? Me Worry". I sincerely hope that all ends up well in this instance but for the benefit of future readers I will simply state what I know to be true. When you buy sheet film from a major US distributor that ships globally, you know that product is going to be delivered in usable unaltered condition because that is the business they are in and have worked out the logistics. Yes, you may pay a tax at your destination, but that is chump change relative to the adverse consequences of spending countless hours making images and having nothing at the end to show for it. Again, this is not in any way critical but a step back and look things over discussion. At the end of the day as photographers we are all aligned in the net outcome and that is all that matters. Long live film.

Just developed a few sheets of film I shot in Rome and they turned out nicely. It is so inconvenient to carry film and go through different airports nowadays.

It seems some airports still have film-safe X-ray machines to be used for checking film and carry-on baggage. It is nice to buy film locally when you travel or are on vacation, but it is hard to find a shop to develop exposed film, especially for film with N-x or N+x.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I find it very interesting to see how much extrinsic risk is normalized in the world today. In this specific situation the reality is every airport ascribes to a unique protocol for security that can shift at the drop of a hat. People conveying that a scanning machine does not adversely affect sheet film (35mm and 120 are easily swabbed for chemicals and are not a part of the concern here) are reading from the sales literature of the company that sold the device because they have no clue. Yet other than a forum such as this one where experiences (both good and bad) are shared the net results do not register because the requests for special consideration for sheet film likely do not register on the complaint list so in the words of Alfred E Newman "What? Me Worry". I sincerely hope that all ends up well in this instance but for the benefit of future readers I will simply state what I know to be true. When you buy sheet film from a major US distributor that ships globally, you know that product is going to be delivered in usable unaltered condition because that is the business they are in and have worked out the logistics. Yes, you may pay a tax at your destination, but that is chump change relative to the adverse consequences of spending countless hours making images and having nothing at the end to show for it. Again, this is not in any way critical but a step back and look things over discussion. At the end of the day as photographers we are all aligned in the net outcome and that is all that matters. Long live film.