Thread: Retropan 320 with Rodinal?

Retropan 320 with Rodinal?

Hello. I have some Retropan 320 sheet film coming and have Rodinal on hand. Any one with experience with either the film or the film developed in Rodinal care to share their experience? I am looking for film speed rating and development data. Best.

Re: Retropan 320 with Rodinal?

I am planning on using that combination soon, but haven't yet.
    I did some pre-emptive research and found development times & dilutions for it at the Massive Dev Chart at digitaltruth.com
    Hope this helps.

It's very slow. I have used it with the suggested retro soft developer, and I like it! Very soft rendering indeed, Rodinal would emphasize the grain, let us know how you like it. I still have a lot of 9x12cm I bought in one lot from PhotoImpex. I also have some in 120, and I like that as well.

Makiflex Retro 320 - 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

9x12cm Foma Retro 320 cut film, exposed at EI 125. Plaubel Makiflex Standard camera body, Kern-Arau 360mm F11 Repro Process lens, exposure 1/15 sec at F22, Developed in straight Microdol-X developer, 30 minutes development at 18C, in a JOBO Multitank 5. Scanned on Epson 4490 scanner. The negative is cropped somewhat (about 6.5cmx9cm) for easy scanning. Observations: Even at 30 minutes development, the negatives are quite low contrast. Also, there is a dark blue antihalation dye on the back of the film, which turned my Microdol-X BLUE! And it even turned my Kodak Rapid Fixer BLUE! After thirty minutes washing, all traces of the dye was completely rinsed away. I LIKE THIS FILM! I am so glad I have it. Of course, I am NOT following the FOMA instructions, just going by my own intuition. Since this film was not available in 120 size at the time, this is a good alternative for me.

Foma Retro Dev by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Has anyone developed Retropan 320 in any of the Pyro developers (specifically PMK in my case) and what times did you use?

Rodinal typically develops film at a slight loss in film speed so some experimenting is called for to be sure you are getting what you want from it.

I have used a lot of Retropan 320, though exclusively in 120 format.

I have found I got the best results with its own dedicated developer Retropan, used stock. In my workflow nothing else could approach this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by tokyo_blues View Post
    I have used a lot of Retropan 320, though exclusively in 120 format.

I have found I got the best results with its own dedicated developer Retropan, used stock. In my workflow nothing else could approach this combo.
    I've used Retropan 320 a few times (120 format) also, but developing it exclusively in PMK Pyro, and the results were excellent. I was in discussion with a friend of mine who is intimately involved with retail film sales and he's been told that his shop can no longer get Retropan 320 because it's not being made by Foma anymore, so once the current supply is used up, then it's an extinct product. (My source is very reliable so I expect this is accurate information)

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I've used Retropan 320 a few times (120 format) also, but developing it exclusively in PMK Pyro, and the results were excellent. I was in discussion with a friend of mine who is intimately involved with retail film sales and he's been told that his shop can no longer get Retropan 320 because it's not being made by Foma anymore, so once the current supply is used up, then it's an extinct product. (My source is very reliable so I expect this is accurate information)
    That was my understanding as well. Pity, it was a unique product. I will use up my left over stock.