Thread: Need to mount 4 lenses for my Wista 8x10…

Need to mount 4 lenses for my Wista 8x10…

Who to use?
    Don’t have the necessary additional lens boards, time or tools to “DIY” ….

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Need to mount 4 lenses for my Wista 8x10…

Ebay seller "Zbima1" is a good resource.
    So is SK Grimes.

Quote Originally Posted by popdoc View Post
    Don’t have the necessary additional lens boards, time or tools to “DIY”
    When I was a student at RIT in the mid 1970s I had no tools up there nor any money to spare. Bought used four Sinar lens boards. Unfortunately all the holes in them were way too small. Borrowed a drill and drilled out a circle just inside the required hole's diameter. With a half round file I slowly filed out the required larger hole. Took me four late nights while watching Johnny Carson. Of course wooden lens boards are 25 times easier to do. Otherwise go to your local High School and donate some money to the "shop" department, or whatever they call it today. Students there will be more than glad to fill your needs. One time I wanted someone to fabricate an adapter for me. Local machinist quoted me a price of hundreds of dollars. Local High School shop gladly fabricated the part for a reasonable donation of a hundred dollars... We all went out way more than happy.

Black (not 'fumed') acryl glass is an easy to do option.
    This material is easy to work with, sturdy enough and the black is opaque and light-tight.
    I sand it matt with fine steel wool to avoid reflections.

I DIY lens mount for my Sinar Norma.

There aren't that many shutter sizes. I have Cambos and never had a problem finding the correct size lens board opening on evil bay. I have hole saws and a die grinder but finding a board with the right size hole is way easier. Some shutters have locating pins which need a recess and it's handy if that is done for you too. Something to look for.

Installing modern lenses is usually, unscrew rear element, unscrew retaining ring, check to see if there is a locating pin to keep the lens from rotating, if not, install lens in lens board, install and tighten retaining ring, install and hand tighten rear element. If there is a pin, there needs to be a recess deep enough that the shutter sits flat on the board. Sometimes the shutters with pins will also have a spacer so they can be installed on thin boards without enough thickness for a recess. Also take note of any spacer rings and put them back the same way.

Thanks very much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk