Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentax Zone V completely off

Pentax Zone V completely off

I developed today about 11 sheets of film: 4 Ilford Ortho 80, 4 Rollei IR 400 (with and R72 Filter) and HP+ 400. All taken on the same day and the same place.

All of the images are under exposed, by one or two stops. I have used several lenses so this could not be it. Quite strange because I have the habit to slightly overexpose my images 1/2 stop, not on purpose but …

So first I thought it was the new developer, and then I checked the Pentax and the meter was horrible off using the test button. Going to replace the battery because I have no idea how old this is.

So how do I know if the meter is still fine, I will calibrate it again after the battery replacement (can’t remember if I did that in the past).
    Going to take off course a test shot but still ?

Eric Woodbury

Re: Pentax Zone V completely off

Use a grey card and compare to f/16 rule. Always do a mental check of your exposures even when the meter functions.

Do you have a camera with built in meter which you can compare with?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    I developed today about 11 sheets of film: 4 Ilford Ortho 80, 4 Rollei IR 400 (with and R72 Filter) and HP+ 400. All taken on the same day and the same place.

All of the images are under exposed, by one or two stops. I have used several lenses so this could not be it. Quite strange because I have the habit to slightly overexpose my images 1/2 stop, not on purpose but …

So first I thought it was the new developer, and then I checked the Pentax and the meter was horrible off using the test button. Going to replace the battery because I have no idea how old this is.

So how do I know if the meter is still fine, I will calibrate it again after the battery replacement (can’t remember if I did that in the past).
    Going to take off course a test shot but still ?

Rollei IR 400 (with and R72 Filter)
    Have you used that film with the meter before? I suspect that film would need to be exposed by trial and error.

You can calibrate you meter by exposing a uniform target 4 stops under at various settings on the meters 'ASA' dial.
    Keep notes and the processed negative that cuts out 1/3 stop of light (compared to blank frame) when placed over the meter, is the correctly exposed negative. That frame's 'ASA' is your meter's 'ASA' setting for that film.

Drew Wiley

If it needs recalibration it should be professionally done. But if you don't want to do that, you'll have to take a grey card reading from a trusted meter and see if they match or not.
    But indeed, always start with the simplest potential issue. Replace the battery and make sure there is no corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Do you have a camera with built in meter which you can compare with?
    Yes I do, time to compare this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Have you used that film with the meter before? I suspect that film would need to be exposed by trial and error.
    Not with 4x5 , but with 120 and perfect results. But as I said it happend with 3 kind of filmstock and two lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    If it needs recalibration it should be professionally done. But if you don't want to do that, you'll have to take a grey card reading from a trusted meter and see if they match or not.
    But indeed, always start with the simplest potential issue. Replace the battery and make sure there is no corrosion.
    I know, but I would like to try and see if the grey card is a bit accurate, and compare with a digital camera as Michael M pointed out.
    Shipping the meter off would make me feel naked. Almost everything I have is out for repair/CLA.
    Bronica, Fuji GA645Zi and my Polaroid SX-70.
    I have a backup Seiconic 758, but still …

I sometimes forget: bellows factor, and reciprocity factor exposure correction, reciprocity development correction. stopping down. ASA setting on the meter, etc. Way too many things to remember. I don't even try to use CC filters to correct for color shift with long color exposures. How old is the battery in the Pentax V? I have had to replace the battery before. I have two of these meters and I compare their exposures values with each other.